Wednesday, October 28, 2009

this i believe: la cage aux chien

There are certain milestones in my life that I now realize have passed without much notice or fanfare. A car pulls up beside me at a stop light, and I am annoyed by the thump thump thumping of the music blaring from its youthful and oblivious owner. "Turn it down or you'll lose your hearing," I think to myself, forgetting what it was like to be young and eager to prove to the world my coolness. "Don't you have any respect for others at all?" I wanna scream to that guy with the utmost of fist-shaking, finger-wagging authority. And that is when it hits me. Somewhere on my life's journey, I stopped listening to pop radio, stopped caring about what songs were in the Billboard top ten, and stopped "sharing" my music with the world around me. And frankly, I am happy to have passed that milestone. I am happy to have moved on to the world of public radio, taking all my gray hairs, shaking fist, and wagging finger with it.

For me, the radio station that I listen to now is a reliable source of well crafted programs which often fuel my imagination and inspire me. Listening to NPR is how I stumbled upon the This I Believe Project, and how I've carried a slow burning torch ever since then to discover and verbalize my own life's mantras.

Now, don't get carried away and think I'm a zealot. It's me we're talking about here, and I'm the kind of person that spends some time every day ignoring the world around me in favor of writing about my dog, or pretending I'm my dog writing. That doesn't leave a lot of room for ultra-any kind of thinking, if you know what I mean. Although some submitters choose to put a more spiritual or religious take on their essays for This I Believe, and although some submitters who famous people like Helen Keller and Eleanor Roosevelt who have recorded their essays, This I Believe courts anyone to share with the world their story, their perspective on what they believe, a core value, no matter how small, that guides them through their life. Elvia Bautista's reading of her essay on remembrance of the fallen was my first taste of this world, and it made me hungry for more. Listening to the writers in two more essays, Be Cool to the Pizza Dude by Sarah Adams, and Leaving Identity Issues to Other Folks by Phyllis Allen, sealed my aspiration to write as succinctly yet as impactfully as they did in their essays. Sure I like This I believe for its content, but I love the eloquence and succinctness of these three essays. The soul that comes through in their voice when they read their writing.

And so on random occasions, when nothing else is there to clutter my mind, which is hardly ever, I think about what drives me. Hopefully I can say this without sounding morally devoid, but it ain't so simple, finding that nugget of wisdom. I've been aware of the whole This I Believe thing for at least five years now, and I've got nothing. But leave it to a little brown dog and a half-baked project to yield a tiny nugget. Something that gives a tiny voice to a part of me that otherwise guided me in silence.

It all started with blogfriend Jen, who asked on my inconvenient truce posting if prints could be purchased of the Baxter Bunnito collage. I hadn't poked around on Baxter's Zazzle shop in quite a while so the timing was perfect. After adding more images and offerings, and maybe because I was still procrastinating about making more purses, I acted on a whim to offer up some snarky larky magnets, to share little nuggets of Baxter's wisdom for the world to enjoy, one refrigerator door at a time.

The magnet project is still a half-baked diamond in the rough, but amongst the trite Baxterisms, I realize there is something there that I do believe, but sadly sometimes forget to do in favor of sloth or habit. Make new memories, everyday. My mantra isn't picky, it doesn't require actions that might make headlines on The Smoking Tail or require large sums of money. In fact, the best memories just happen by virtue of being aware, like noticing the tiny whorl of fur on each of Baxter's hind quarters, or enjoying the coziness of all three of us, warm under blankies on a cold rainy night. Remember to make new memories, so life isn't just a blur of action without pause.

I have been feeling for tiny chumley, who is not allowed to for the moment to play with his toyfriends or go on walks or chase squirrels and hunt for bunnies. These are the kinds of cherished memories we've grown accustomed to making with our little boy, the kind of stuff he reenacts in his dreams at night when his little paws thrash into our backs while he "mwoofs" after the squirrels that run from him in his sleep. Now, with Baxter's movement restricted, we are challenged to find different ways of feeding Baxter's memories so they can live on in his dreams.

My actual This I Believe essay may never see the light of day, but I am grateful to have given voice to this one little mantra. Make new memories, everyday, even if it means risking ridicule from your neighbors for putting your dog in an elevated cage by the front window. A little Tweety Bird, watching the world go by once again so he can keep dreaming of chasing squirrels.

7 comments:

jen said...

You are lovely, and I love your posts. A lot. Really.

(Also: Thanks for offering that print of Baxter and the Bunny. I'm already planning where to hang it, so that all people everywhere can see it and smile.)

Nibbles Treats said...

I think all dog-lovers have gone to extremes for their loved ones. Nice post.

Jiorji said...

hahaha i hate when people drive by with loud music. It's even worse when it's so loud their speakers can't take it and the whole car vibrates in a bad way. I just chuckle and call them losers under my breath. But it's weird. We're always surrounded by noise and music and tv. The new generation has this constant need to listen to music. Yes...music is great, i agree...i just think that more people should listen to the sound of birds and wind in the trees. Also music is personal...why feel the need to blast it for everyone to hear? It's like "hey!! look i'm cool!! i'm listening to "so-and-so"!!" but in the end many people won't know WHAT you're listening to so, where's the cool factor?!!? haha silly kids

Anonymous said...

I love the picture where it looks like his bunny is looking over his shoulder. That is tooo darling. It looks like something out of a children's book. Dachshunds all dachshunds are such a comfort for me. I search the web high and low looking for dachshund stuff to look at. They are comforting to me like macaroni and cheese and a warm blanket. I don't get to listen to NPR because I live only five minutes from everything in town. We take trips now and a then but not often. I'm simply not at the radio enough to listen in. But I have NPR on facebook and find that I share so much from their site on my page everyone must think I'm a little loopy. I wish I had some of your skills. I struggle with writing it is a talent for sure. I hope Baxter is better very soon so he can enjoy those memories.

Lorenza said...

People think my mom is crazy because she writes a dog blog! And they don't know all the other things she makes for me!
I hope Baxter is doing well!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

kalyxcorn said...

dachshunds are totally a joy, aren't they? that's gotta be why all these ailments, real and possibly real, are buggin me so much. don't mess with my microcosm of solace, dang it!

AmyM said...

Dachshunds are a joy, I had forgetten that since my childhood and I am SO thankful I rediscovered them.

As for your post, I think it is a beautiful essay - why not use it?

The mantra is great and a good one for everyone. I try to notice something special every day, something usually in nature, a specific color or tree or flower or the way the leaves fall. It makes me feel more connected with the world and with the present if that makes sense.

The pants and the harnesses are fabulous! I am measuring kids this weekend and coming to take a look. I may not do all at once, but at least one of my girls who is smaller and colder than the others.

I love your writing, I think your soul does shine through.