Wednesday, December 16, 2009

a new frontier

There's a new frontier in Baxter's life, and it's officially called Up. For the last two years, I could easily hide the things I wanted Baxter to forget about or leave alone, just by putting it high off the floor. Special playtime toys would magically disappear when our playtime was over, all with the help from a quick diversionary tactic and handoff to the nearest piece of furniture over three feet tall. My little rube would look at me in amazement as I offered up both hands, empty as could be on both the front and back. Stunned, Baxter would often race off in search of his toy gone amber alert, certain that it was still out there, somewhere, just waiting to be mauled.

I blame the squirrels for opening my innocent boy's eyes to the world Up There. Fooled once when a squirrel took a ninety degree turn up a tree, Baxter might have been fooled again early on, but nowadays there's no doubt that Baxter knows that Up is a fine place to look for things that might interest him, that might have otherwise disappeared.

I figured out Baxter had developed his new superpowers over these past two days, when it became obvious that Baxter's source of evening antsy pants wasn't at ground level and it wasn't by the front door. Nope, there Baxter sat, in the family room looking up at the sideboard, happy and hopeful that I would give him his blue ballie that I had earlier "hidden" out of sight for my height challenged buddy. A fluke, I thought. He must have smelled it, as much as he slobbers on that thing.

The second day, Baxter antsied around the Christmas tree, having spied his Christmas Bunny toyfriend sloppily placed atop a nearby wicker table placed there for all gifts we didn't want Baxter to know about. Baxter shifted his weight from paw to paw and whined ever so gently, an indication of his deep and burning desire to be given time to properly destuff what he knew to be his toy. Hm, how bout that, I thought but quickly forgot about as we played with Christmas Bunny again, now only ten days before he should be actually playing with it.

I finally clued in to Baxter's new superpowers later that same day in the early evening, when I let our tiny hunter romp out back. Squirrels were high above in the treetops, busy making repairs to their nests from the wind and rains we had earlier in the week. And I stood, impressed as I watched my little wolf quickly hone in on his prey, stare up at them, follow them from the ground while the squirrels bounced from tree to tree bringing twigs and branches back to their abode.

Unsuccessful in actually convincing a squirrel to come down for a real romp in the leaves, but exhilarated nevertheless, Baxter came inside from his hunt. And that's when I caught Baxter, looking up with nose held high and sniffing about in the living room. Searching, it would seem, for all the toys and rawhide that have gone missing in his life these past two years. A new frontier of discovery for my enlightened little friend to explore.

8 comments:

jen said...

Two of my three doxies have yet to discover Up. But it's only a matter of time, because the newest member of our family is well aware that there's a whole frustratingly out-of-reach world Up There. And I'm convinced that, in the night when I'm sleeping, they tell each other the important secrets about Manipulating the Lady.

Bludog said...

If we make the mistake of leaving anything interestingly edible on the dining table, desk or kitchen "island"/table, Molly gets up there and gets it the minute we walk out the door. She knows all too well how to use chairs, boxes, piles of newspapers for recycling - whatever! - to get "UP" and to the thing she wants. The German Shepherds, for whom these surfaces are at eye level, NEVER touch a thing. But you can bet, if someone got into something on the table, it was Molly.

However, her interest is completely limited to edible items. She has no interest in toyfriends, balls, or anything other than food. She has actually climbed some pretty precarious heights to get to things she wanted to eat.

Fortunately, she has not yet figured out how to get to the top of the refrigerator or into the cupboards ... but I'll bet she's still working on it!

Unknown said...

What a cute story!

All my dachshunds are monkeys and have discovered and destroyed up a long time ago - I'd rather they didn't know about it.

I had a greyhound boy once who only ever seemed to see up. No other dogs would look there, but he'd watch air planes, birds, even a hot air balloon once that REALLY kept his attention.

Dogs are wonderful.

Taffy said...

I agree, Amy, dogs are wonderful! So, I'm wondering, is Baxter allowed on the furniture? Or is he a floor dog only? Twix is old enough that she isn't really interested in toys anymore...which saddens me. Food, on the other hand, is totally different!

Lorenza said...

I am always interested in things my mom is doing but as soon as she shakes her hands I know it is over so I can go and look for something else to entertain myself!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Anonymous said...

Our dachsie, Ike, being a VERY long standard (check out Carson's blog about him) has discovered the "up" of our kitchen counters. Recent attacks include: raw acorn squash and a small jaw of vaseline!

kalyxcorn said...

Ha! We're hoping our luck will still hold out and Baxter doesn't turned into a tiny bandit. I had earlier thought about closing this entry saying that Baxter is at a definite crossroads in his life now - will he use his new jedi powers only for good, or will he fall to the dark side and try to get at those things higher than his nose can reach? So far, he hasn't tried to climb onto anything or snitch food. Keeping fingers crossed that he will continue letting us be his masters.

Baxter isn't allowed to get jump up on the furniture by himself, and other than his kitty perches he's not allowed to be on anything we sit on unless he is invited. That sounds difficult to manage but all the beds in our house are either too high or situated such that it's difficult for him to jump on to them. And really, there are enough comfy places to be at doxie level that he is happy to keep us company (or sleep in the sun) without having to be somewhere he shouldn't be. At least so far...

I love Twix's painting, by the way.

Taffy said...

I thought being an artist yourself you would appreciate the painting. I can't wait to get it and see it in real life!