Saturday, January 30, 2010

block prints

Whew. Something finally back in the Kalyxcraftopia Etsy shop. To be quite honest I had carved these print blocks years ago, and sent hand blocked prints out in two successive years as Valentine's Day gifts for family and friends.

First came Cupid's Helper, based loosely on my remembrance of Digger's old man snoozy habits, a classic pose that I catch Baxter doing even today as a youngster. Second came Duo, which reminds me of Kep and Padua when they were puppies and were learning how to climb up and down stairs. We showed them, step by step and paw by paw, what to do.

Time helped me forget how long it actually takes to make a print with roller and ink, a process which takes much longer than entrusting it to technology. But nothing can replace the wonderful imperfections of handwork, and so yesterday afternoon I reminded myself why it is I don't make a billion prints at a time.



Tiny chumley lurked about while I rolled and spooned and peeled and waited for ink to dry. He sat atop his kitty perch, watching for squirrels and listening to the strange sound of ink squishing about, all while basking on the cozy warmth of his sheepskin and in the comfort of his cashmere lined harness, an experiment to test cashmere's warmth and durability as a lining. I have a feeling he's going to need all the warmth he can muster tomorrow. The snow started to fall in the early evening, and it has yet to stop.



Tomorrow, possibly a lazy day, but otherwise, work on Molly's second harness. And maybe another addition to Etsy.

11 comments:

angie said...

can i squee at that duo?? cause i just did.

Elizabeth said...

Your block prints are very cool! I did some in high school and loved it. How does Baxter do with the snow? Lulu hates it.

ps...my verification word is pitie. I think that is funny.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bax! It's snowing here too, and mom is playing with paper and ink. We're going back to our sleeping bag! Kate & Allie

Sandra said...

Awesome prints! And Baxter looks handsome as always.

Lorenza said...

Hi, Baxter!
I can see you are giving your mom your moral support while she works!
The prints are beautiful!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Your host said...

Hey Baxter! You look cool sitting in the window, but we have a delicate question to ask. Are you aware that your mom calls your window seat a "kitty perch"? Is that a faux paw on her part do you think? You must be one tough doxie to deal with all that cold snow. We can't imagine it. Best barks to you...Penny & Rosie

kalyxcorn said...

heehee, my mom n dad squee over me all the time so y not squee at puppies? it all starts somewhere!

i normally don't care much for snow but i can't wait to tell u about my day 2day in 2morrow's post! and pitie-ful even has something 2 do with it!

ha! i can't wait 2 see what your mom comes up with, kate n allie!

ooh, hi Miss Sandra. i'm glad u like the prints!

hi my girl Lorenza! i hope your mom is feeling better !!!

oh penny and rosie, u have no idea about me and my kitty-ness. i have come 2 terms with it, cuz, well, y not, and look at what i can do sometimes because of it!
http://kalyxcornucopia.blogspot.com/2010/01/year-of-cat.html

chloejessica said...

Baxter what will your mom have up her sleeves next? I love the block prints, so cute! Valentines day is my bday so I do love that holiday! :)

Unknown said...

Those are great cuts - I did one in Jr. High I still have sitting on a shelf. Mine definitely looks like premative art though in comparison.

I love them both and went right out and bought them. They remind me of mine - and they way they lay on their sides all baby and tucked up feet. Love that!

kalyxcorn said...

I know, like everybody did them in school, right? I remember how there would always like one carving kit that was worth anything, and you would know who had it because that person would always be the one who knicked himself or herself for the day. Art is not without pain and suffering! ;)

I love it when Baxter tucks his front paws under himself like a chicken trying to hatch eggs. Anything to conserve heat, I guess.

Thanks for your order! I'll drop off the prints in the mail tomorrow. Would LOVE to see pics of your cuties sometime! (kalyxcornucopia@gmail.com)

AmyM said...

I'm surprised more of us didn't come out of those wood cutting classes with bigger chunks or fingers missing.

I'll try to get you some pictures!

Thanks for sending the package so quickly! I can't wait to get them.