Saturday, February 13, 2010

a midnight clearing

Tiny chumley had been roasting naked under the electric blankie all night long, sleeping soundly through the opening ceremonies of the winter olympics. Sleeping, til finally it was time to turn off the tv and go outside, and it was only then that he realized that it had been snowing while he slept.

A fluffy blanket of fresh snow can only mean one thing when it's time for this little wiener dog do his midnight duties. Shovel first, then carry me, please.

It's the least we can do for our little boy, who at least delivers the goods when we set his tiny paws upon the cold wet ground. As he grew older, Kep became notoriously stubborn in such affairs even when the weather was nice out, toodling around and often times just standing like a little cow in a test of wills that he inevitably almost always won. No outside poopies for me, nosirree, Kep would always remind us. I prefer the convenience and comfort of doing it inside wherever and whenever I want, thank you very much. And don't be surprised if I eat it. That's just who I am.

Of course it wasn't until late in his life that we realized the addition of boiled chicken seemed to curb his appetite for homemade chocolates, but Kep's stubborn streak lasted, it seems, til the very end. And though we put up with Kep's behavior out of love, we love the fact that we don't have to put up with it with Baxter. So, yes, we're the crazy people you see out back, clearing a spot in the snow at midnight, so the little kielbasa can do his business. That's just who we are.

11 comments:

Jiorji said...

heheh what a spoiled little boy! :P i'd probably do the same. I meant carry him out and clear a spot...not go pee in the yard..haha..too cold ;)

i love that pic of him being carried. Love the facial expression.

Caro said...

I hate snow and cold weather. At the moment we have about 50 cm of snow. My mum bought shoes for me when we had -4 F few weeks ago. I refuse to move with the stupid shoes on. Look: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35211543@N06/4352555097/

Your host said...

Heaving a sigh of relief here. We thought that Penny was the only almost 3-yr.-old dog who still couldn't ask to go out 100% of the time. Have to say we were a bit embarrassed to admit this to other dog owners. Turns out Penny has a bit of the "Kep streak" in her. In the middle of the night, she pops off the bed (thank you!), finds a nice little tiled corner that suits her, leaves her deposit, and then pops back up on the bed, finds the warm place she left moments ago, and it's off to zzzzzland. She CAN ask to go out, she just doesn't when it's not convenient. Just not her style, you know?

Then there's Rosie, who in her crate can smell Penny's lovely leavings. This triggers her to want to do the same, only she prefers to go outside at 4am, relieve herself and then run and sniff and bark and hunt for whatever evil vermin might have sneaked into HER yard since last she checked...all while I stand patiently freezing in my bathrobe!

Ah! The joys of sleeping amidst a pack of dogs :-)

Stacey said...

Story of my life. Murphy is 3-1/2, and when it rains or is windy, he looks at me like "Are you crazy? YOU do it out here if you like it so much!"

Lorenza said...

My mom says she would do that for me too. But thankfully I have my indoors bathroon where I can go when I want to go. She cleans it and it is ready for my next time.
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

kalyxcorn said...

hi jiorji! what u mean u don't pee in your yard? where else would anyone even do that??? - baxter

oh Caro what a lovely pup you are! thanks for sharing the pictures!! BTW - I sent your envelope Tuesday so hopefully you will get it soon! :)

ahh, at least Rosie and Penny don't do the full Kep production with the chocolate consumption. THAT got old fast!

Murphy is one smart cookie! Rain? Snow? Yep, it blows. Baxter is the only doxie we've had that is willing to do do his biz under those conditions, and I'm not sure if it means he is smarter or more gullible. But I'll take it!

Oh Lorenza, an indoor potty? How lovely! We knew a yorkie whose mom taught her to go on a wee wee pad in the bathroom when the door was closed. That was pretty amazing!

Bludog said...

I shovel a little spot for Molly, and she obligingly goes there. However, she pees in the middle of sidewalk! And then it freezes right there...

kalyxcorn said...

oh wow a pee-sicle!

Kris said...

so you're telling me (what my vet couldn't) is that boiled chicken will reduce/minimize the doxie pop syndrome??? Hmmmm...will have to try that...do you think it would work with kitty pops too?? (for "some" reason...mine loves to troll the litter box - bleh)

Anonymous said...

Kris - try feeding a two or three chunks of pineapple with meals. It makes the poopie taste really bad I am told. Ooops, I just reread and yours is eating cat stuff...don't know if it works with cats or not but you could try. Not sure you could get a cat to eat pineapple!

Taffy said...

Bax, my parents do the same thing for me, except they don't carry me but they shovel a spot right by the front step so I don't have to trudge through that nasty stuff. I have to admit, I sometimes go inside now that I am older. Don't tell mom and dad ok? Well, I guess they know cause they bought me some pee pads to use in the middle of the night.
Snuggles,
Twix