Saturday, May 1, 2010

showtime

Well this should be interesting. I've been having so much fun making dapper doxie duds that I haven't really made anything for today's show, though thankfully I think Robin has made more than enough to fill our booth. And so today I get to be helper, my original role in our first forays together. In many ways, a relief, not to be schlepping around a bunch of stuff that has to be treated like gold lest it get all linted or smoooshed. Late winter and spring have always been playtimes, time to recuperate and experiment before summer hits and the intense shows of fall and holidays come on the crafty radar.

So playin I have been doing, with a couple of interesting results. First, a crossbody purse, made from a portion of the sleeves of a wearable art jacket experiment Robin no longer wanted to deal with. There was something almost freeing about being limited to use only what I had, rather than cutting into new fabric and making scraps. Definitely something I wanna do again when the right set of sleeves shows up.


My second experiment came about from a duh moment I had after making Molly's lepidoxulata lavandula duds. For that outfit, Molly could wear either her wings or her embellishment, but not both at the same time. And so I figured Molly's mom needed a special place to keep her secret decoder button when Molly wanted to flit about. So I worked this up, an over the shoulder curious combination of firm and flexible with a tiny pocket just for Molly's decoder button. I like how it turned out, love how it also utilizes odd shaped dud scraps, but I have some thinking to do to make this a more easily reproduced item.

Molly's mom, by the way, also happened to need a new tote, thanks to Molly's investigative nose and nibbling mouth, which was the perfect combination to make a hole in the old tote. One just big enough to nibble out an entire package of big dog snacks that were in there from going to training with her brother and sister. Oh Molly, tiny chumley wouldn't be quite so innocent a little boy if we lived closer, and he could learn your doxie tricks of the trade!

5 comments:

Lorenza said...

Those totes are beautiful!
I hope you are having fun at the show!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

design_girl said...

Baxter, you are the best blog I have ever read (My Mom agrees too). I hear her laughing every time she reads your latest post. She says it reminds her of my doxie antics.

Your friend,

Chloe :)

Bludog said...

Molly sez... wearing wings is a great way to get the grandmotherly types at the church bake sale to feed you scraps of cake, Baxter! They all thought I looked like a tiny angel. Little do they know!

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

Baxter your mom is soooooo creative and talented. Love the tote!!

kalyxcorn said...

oooh, i like cake!!!