Friday, April 12, 2013

dapper doxie duds: springtoberfest


Hello my friends! It's me, Baxter, your roving rover reporter, reporting to you about the latest in springtoberfest fashion, fresh off my mom's sewing machine.  These happy duds are for my friends Quintin and Jewel, who ordered their duds way back when.  Lucky for mom and for Quintin and Jewel, their patience paid off because looky - here are their duds.

This time Jewel and Quintin wanted to celebrate their German heritage in true Octoberfest style.  So first up, a peek at Jewel's dirndl dud, a vision in oranges and green complete with a buckled ruffle edged bodice and removable skirt/apron  and yup your eyes are not fooling u, folk badger trim! 


Now what's a boy to wear when his sister is wearing a dirndl?  Why, lederhosen of course!  Only just like me, Quintin is a mover and a shaker so u know, who needs pants?  So, to keep things nice and lederhoseny, mom made sure to piece in the seamlines and pipe them, and she made a reversible suspender placket featuring acorns and oak leaves, because Quintin and Jewel live very near the city of oaks. This lederhosen look is made from super soft pinwale corduroy and bound in bottomweight twill so Quintin can jump and bump with the mountain billy goats if he wants to, while Jewel collects edelweiss in the mountains.  Unfortunately for me, I am much bigger than Quintin otherwise I would model it for you. But maybe one day mom will make one for me, maybe even with suede or leather!







So that is it for this week in makey my friends! And I don't know about your plans for the weekend, but I think I've got some yodeling to do!  This is Baxter your roving rover reporter wishing you a wonderful yoldel-eh-eee-poooooooooo! :)

8 comments:

Bludog said...

WOW! That is some serious expertise on display between all the layers of construction, piping, buttons and corresponding buttonholes, etc. Great job on the Dachshund interpretation of dirndl and lederhosen!

Jasper + Amy said...

Wunderbar!!! Einfach wunderbar!!!

Once again Baxter, your mom has done an amazing job creating such masterpieces!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I can hardly wait till Penny is old enough for her dud. May be too nice to wear. May have to frame it. We put her birthday hat in a shadow box. Will have to send pic someday.
So talented, both of you.

Marene&Penny

Anonymous said...

I am Quintin and Jewel's grandma and all I can say is WOW !!!!! Absolutely Amazing !!! And just in time for Jewel's Birthday today, April 12th !!!!

Lizzy said...

Super cute, and the detail is just perfect. Congrats.

Jane said...

Baxter, your Mom has outdone herself this time. :) Such beautiful work! You would look great in your own little outfit like Quintin's. The badger trim on Jewel's outfit is the perfect finishing touch I think. I bet they both will love their new duds.

PairADox Designs said...

Absolutely Wunderbar! The piping and details are gorgeous. Is that a modified bound buttonhole to let the ring pass through on Quintin's dud? I haven't done those in years. Did you do the oak leaf embroidery? I have an embroidery machine and it's my favorite and most expensive toy!

kalyxcorn said...

thank u miss bludog! it did take quite a bit of noodling and patience but it was totally worth it! :)

gracias miss amy n jasper! how is my friend Jasper doing btw? :)

hee hee, miss marlene, that is always something to think about after u see it, isn't it? :)

yippeeee! i am so glad u like it, quintin and jewel's grandma!! :)

thank u miss lizzy!

hee hee, mom says she should quit while she's ahead but there are many more doxies to dud! :)

thank u mistermiss paradox designs! mom says the opening is like the beginning of a double welted pocket, only without the double welts. and lucky for her the leaves are embroidered patches that she stitched on carefully :)