Tuesday, July 23, 2013

hook line and sinker

 Alright, ask me like two years ago and I would have haughtily and heartily denied any likelihood of my association with Apple stuff.  Iphones and Ipads were for techbabies.  And hipsters. And very  forgiving minions, the kind who would have stood by the streets of fairytales, impressed by the clothes that their emperor most certainly was not wearing.

But that was two years ago.  My door to IWonderland opened a couple of Christmases ago, when lo and behold an Ipad entered our lives.  Okay, maybe it's not so great for typing intensive projects, but it's nicer to surf the web with, nicer to read in bed with. And, being smaller and less power needy, it was the device I brought to the hospital when my dad fell ill.  The Ipad was a user friendly simple thing, with which I could search on medical terms and procedures, take notes so I could digest what the doctors and staff were telling us, and readily draw pictures to explain what was going on.  All in one handy little compact thing that hardly took up any space at all or heat up my lap.  Typing difficulties aside, a lazy person could get used all this, I realized.  And then I sighed.  Oh how far I have fallen.

It's actually freeing to step off my moral PC high horse.  The laptop PC is still very much a winner for me in some areas and it's still the best device for the kind of work intensive things I sometimes want do, but just like everything in a world full of options, there is a place for my PC as much as there is for an Apple I-whatever in our lives, including what Baxter lovingly and unwittingly sardonically refers to as his new iphoney.    Which you might have noticed has created a bit of an increase in the things he has been posting on instagram and facebook.

For him, a new world as opened up, as it has for me.  Baxter is well on his way to improving his Klout score through posts of heavily hashtagged selfies and smellfies and other such social baxfoolery on Instagram, Facebook, and elsewhere, while I too have spent an inordinate amount of time in iphoney case related activities, researching case after case, and concluding with apple-glazed eyes that we need three, no six, no, ten, no, like, five HUNDRED different cool and awesome iphone cases for the various scenarios our little new fragile baby might encounter.  Planning a vacation in the desert? Or maybe just looking to drop your phone onto the sidewalk then watch it bounce into the ocean?  Why, let's buy an Otterbox. Or maybe the recently released, Lifeproof nuud.  Want to stick it in your pocket? Make mine a Noreve Tradition flip case please.  In pebble leather papaye. Going to the Renegade Craft Fair? Wait, let me get the Grovemade case in that pattern I want so badly.  It's made by hipsters in Oregon, so I can fit right in.   Yeah you get the idea.  It's a dangerous Iphoney case world out there for an OCD shopaholic.

And yet, I still didn't find any dachshundy options that were perfect enough for me to bite.   A couple were close, but not close enough at the price or case design I wanted.  I realized if I was gonna spend the bucks anyway, I should really take matters into my own crafty hands. So say hello above to case number two. Designed by u know who, and made by the folks at Uncommon.   Nah, it's not going to suvive the Apocalypse.  But that's what Iphoney case number 19's gonna do. :)


 







hee hee, thanks for the new iphoney cover, mom! it's so much cooler than the green one and now my darth vader screen lock will be surrounded by sinister black just like he should be! :) :)


2 comments:

Stacey said...

I put a squaretrade warranty on my big beautiful android phone because the last android took a swim in a flushing toilet. Best thing I ever did. Two years of not worrying about breaking, even if I did play it smart and use a melkco case the entire time. I did NOT put any warranty, AppleCare OR SquareTrade on my new little iPad mini, and now I have a crack on the screen (which I still say shouldn't have happened the way it did, grrrrr,) and Apple says "no warranty, no helpy." So next time, I fork over for the warranty. :(

Stacey said...

Also, I love it, and now I want one. Except with Murphy and Sunny.