Thursday, March 27, 2014

(soon to be) etsy fresh: say hello to my new little brooch friend


No matter how optimistically I'd like to think otherwise, the first three months of the year seem always to take me places I haven't gone in terms of makey.  This year, compounded by the fact that I somehow messed up my left middle finger and consequently rendered myself at least temporarily useless for sewing and the ambidextrous nimbleness required of the double layer french fold binding technique I use for duds, my mind turned to the brooch ideas that started percolating late last year, and the challenge of turning those ideas into well made, hand crafted reality.

It's been a long road on the brooch makey front, needless to say, but I'm happy to post today an early peekypoo at the results of all that effort.  Forged from copper sheet, sawed, bent, sawed, pickled, soldered, pickled, soldered, pickled, sanded, pickled, cut, soldered, pickled, sawed, sawed, cut, snipped, sawed, sanded, pickled, soldered, pickled, sanded, sharpened, bent, buffed, patinated, waxed, and finally inlaid with thoughtfully arranged and carefully cut wool.  Yup, these cheerful little pups definitely take some time and effort to make, but as tiny chumley would say, the results are totally worth it, dontchoo think? :)



Look for tiny chumley to load this puppy pin and the rest of its brooch litter in our Etsy shop sometime in April, after the hubbub of taxes has died down and I've reintroduced myself to those patient friends who were already in proximity range on my duds radar from  - eeps - from before the holidays.  Boy it's hard to believe March is already almost over.  Well, it'd also be easier to believe if winter didn't keep coming back.  Happy makey, my friends! :)












wait!! while we are on the topic - mom, dontchoo think maybe i should be paid half up front for all the etsy work i will be doing later?  like, maybe, o, i dunno, a whole box of milky bones or scooby snacks? or maybe, if u just want to give me one snackie even? like, now, i mean. :) :)


3 comments:

Lovable Lily said...

Wow! Another beautiful hand crafted with love item for your shop. We'll have to keep our eyes open for that one. Always love adding to our collection.

And yes Baxter, we too think you should be paid up front!

Hugs,
Lily Belle & Muffin

Tammy said...

Hello Baxter! I hope your mom will keep my little Rudy in mind when it's time to start making some duds again. He's very anxious to strut through our local Riverfront Park with a sweet new outfit on.

Jasper + Amy said...

Oh my GOODNESS!! I absolutely NEED one of those broaches! Must keep eyes peeled, must keep eyes peeled... :)