Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Adventures in Felting (PG-13)

My wonderful hubby/Baxter's dad is out of town to visit family. With dad gone, our schedules are all out of whack. Dishes pile up in the sink, dinner is whenever, Baxter and I sleep in, and I am adrift in a timeless sea of crafting opportunity.

Yesterday, as I bounced from one project to another, I took some time to work on making felted pincushions for an upcoming show. Fluff and wet the wool roving, soap up the hands, and roll roll roll. Rinse and repeat. Repeat and repeat, forever plus some for good measure til you get a firm ball.

The beauty of felting is you can use whatever color you want on the inside and conserve the good colors for the last one or two layers. Though sherberty colored on the outside, these cores would all be brown. I had completed one pincushion and started the cores for two others by the time my pruny hands told me they had enough. Washing the soap off my hands, I left my project on the counter to dry and looked down at Baxter, all curled in his little kitchen bed. My eyes moved back to the two brown cores sitting side by side, walnut sized balls, all fuzzy and the exact same color as his fur.

It's not exactly fair to say my mind started wandering. It knew exactly where it wanted to go.

According to his adoption papers, Baxter was fixed at an age earlier than most dogs. Though he walks with an ever so slight bow in his hind legs, I doubt this is the same effect as some say they feel when they've lost an arm and still perceive sensation of it. Thanks to an early neutering, Baxter probably never had an ounce of testosterone flow through his body, never had a reason to walk widely to accommodate the family jewels.

And yet when presented with the pair of brown wooly orbs, Baxter seemingly sniffed at them with a mix of wistfulness and faint recognition of the rewards that wearing them might garner - finally, glowing admiration from nattily groomed Poodles and Schnauzers alike, awe and respect from the Labs and Boxers at the big dog park.



With men still here to fix the leak in our roof, Baxter's interest quickly waned and he trundled off to match the noise they were making with barks of equal intensity. But it got me to thinking that there could be a market for these things, these faux family jewels. At this year's halloween party, save your dachshund the embarrassment of showing up in the same hot dog costume as everyone else. Save yourself the time of whipping up something elaborate that he'll only wear for two seconds. Get back to nature. Restore his pride. Let him be all that he can be. Dress him up as The Unneutered Dachshund.

9 comments:

Bludog said...

Having just come out of a hideous 9 AM meeting, I thought I would quickly sneak over to your site to see what Baxter is up to today. I knew - whatever it was - it would cheer me up.

Little did I know - that is HILARIOUS! Thank you so much!

Also, do you sell on Etsy? I love to buy felted things on Etsy. Perhaps not those two items in particular, but I'd love to see what else you are up to artistically.

Rowdy and Bette said...

The devil will find work for idle hands to do. :)

Hilarious!

Anonymous said...

testicular implants for dogs http://www.neuticles.com/

Taffy said...

Hehe! Baxter, yo Momma is funny. Love the Halloween idea! Now, what ya gonna do for us ladies?
Love and hugs,
Twix

angie said...

BWAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!! holy crap that was hilarious!!!

Anonymous said...

So, why can you buy them as "singles"?!?!

Lorenza said...

Hi, Baxter!
You look very interested in that picture!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

kalyxcorn said...

Hi Bludog! No etsy yet, but one day. I'll post some pictures here sometime of how the pincushions are turning out so stay tuned! :)

Hi Melissa! I had attached an addendum to this post that also includes the link to Neuticles - be sure to scroll to the bottom to say hi to Bruno the Dachshund!!

Hi Twix! Oooh, hard to say what to do for you ladies. I like the idea of a nice necklace like the one I made that Baxter modelled on the 6/28 post. A girl can never have enough of THAT kind of jewel!

Hi Anonymous! Sure, why not singles? Maybe even mix n match. And definitely available in Blue for all those unsatisfied leg humpers out there!

firstyouleap said...

Jeeves and I love checking out your blog and think the felted balls are as well executed as they are ingenious.
Melinda