Sunday, September 27, 2009

re-do it: recover an office chair

I remember my first real office chair. It was so different than the twenty dollar big-box store bought chair that I used in school. The one I had to put together myself with Snerdvig the Allen Wrench, all while straddled on the floor, swearing with each difficult turn of that smug right angled tool. Surely Snerdvig was a cousin of that smart aleck Microsoft paperclip wizard, and his "help" was equally suspect. I had a hobbledy, wobbledy, uncomfortable piece of junk and I didn't realize it til that fateful day I walked in as a professional to my new office and sat down. My first real office chair was way more substantial, way more cushy. Way more how can I take this home and not get fired?

I never did take that chair home, but I did become inspired to look for ways of recreating that ergonomic experience inexpensively at home in my crafty area. The secret, as always, is to take lemons and make lemonade. Or in this case, unearth an old office chair that actually was used in an office and give it a new life with a little elbow grease, fabric, and thread. No more wasted bucks with the Snerdvigs of this world. Hello inexpensive and too-simple-and-humble-to-be-named curved upholstery needle.

Meet the newest addition to my growing stable of recovered office chairs that occupy my work space at home. Yes, it's a two dollar better-than-your-average-bear heavy duty office chair, covered in fifteen bucks of fabric. All in all, a much better way to part with a double sawbuck than handing it over to Sven.

Baxter, as you might guess, wasn't exactly impressed with my project. The final results were neither edible nor playable. But still, I think he's glad to have tested it, and happy to discover that the seat is big enough to accommodate his presence in my lap. Silly me. All that really matters is having open access to a warm lap, no matter how rickety the chair.



PS - read the comments and get a quick overview on how to recover your own office chair.

12 comments:

mamamouseiam said...

Nice job on your chair! It's so pretty that it must just make you want to whistle while you work, eh? :-)

Elizabeth said...

Very nice.

Bludog said...

OK, I'll "bite" - exactly how did you recover the chair to achieve such fabulous results? In particular, how did you do to the back?

kalyxcorn said...

You know I thought about posting the details but wasn't sure if I might be boring people to tears. So thanks asking! In a nutshell, five big light bulb moments. 1) serge the edges of the fabric - minimizing fraying helps me psychologically 2)run fishing line in the serged area and pull it TIGHT to form a shower cap over the cushion 3) Stick pins into the cushion while futzing and finessing, to help hold fabric in place 4) Sew "shower cap" to old fabric, using curved upholstery needle and pliers if needed - here's where you might use a staple gun but it depends on the design of the chair 5) Interfacing! Cut stiff iron on interfacing to the desired back shape, iron onto fabric cut about 1" larger all around, turn edges and machine sew. Then handsew back to the new fabric that's already been affixed - I'd say a blindhstitch, but really, I have no idea the names of the stitches. It's the one where only the tiniest amount of thread shows. Does all that make sense? Let me know because I would be happy to go into more detail or help with a particular dilemma (well as best I can!). It really is a wonderful thing, having a deluxe chair on the cheap.

Lorenza said...

Hi, Baxter!
Your mom did a pawesome job with that chair! The new fabric matches pretty well with you!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Taffy said...

Bax, you look regal in your Mom's new chair.
Snuggles,
Twix

Raising Addie said...

Hi Baxter!

You are a beautiful Doxie! Our little sister looks like your friend Zelda.

We wanted to say Hi and that we LOVE your blog. We will stop back by when we have more time.

Off to bed.

Lots of Luv & Kisses
Addie, Lucie, and Hailey

Nibbles Treats said...

Excellent job!

Lots of treats,
Tinkerbell, Oscar and Tucker

Anonymous said...

A valuable post on office chair.

Thanks,
Criag - Officetronics Products

quinnward said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
curtisgarett said...

This is a really nice chair.but think it a good home is not office.may this chair is like any other.
Office chair

kalyxcorn said...

sorry I'm not sure I understand your comment. This was an actual office chair I purchased from our state surplus store that I do use at home. Complete with pneumatic adjsutments, etc. I've also recovered an HON chair from the surplus store, in a similar fashion though the back was plastic so instead of making a fabric back, I inserted the fabric between the cushion and the packing, then sewed it into place.