Tuesday, November 3, 2009

tiny helper

With only two more days til I pack up the car, little kielbasa kept me company this morning while I photographed some of the purses and scarves I've made for this weekend's show. A curious event for this little wiener, who has yet to realize he won't be tagging along.

For the most part, Baxter has grown accustomed to my crafty ways, patiently sleeping in his bed while I often sew and press the day away. Today's experience out on the deck was new for the little kielbasa, yet his curiosity initially lay dormant thanks to entertaining scene that is our squirrel filled backyard. Minutes passed as we both functioned in our own microcosmic worlds, with me, trying my best to set up shots with one hand and snap photos with the other, and Baxter, plotting his epic revenge against his backyard thugs.

Relenting, finally, to the obvious fact that today would not be a hunting day, Baxter disengaged himself from his squirrel filled world and trundled into mine, checking out all the goodies that were the focus of his mom's attention, and making tiny paw prints all over the velvety green drop cloth I was using as my background.

I'm here to help, Baxter's eyes proudly proclaimed, with tail wagging ever so gently. I just need to get situated, first, right here in the middle of things.

It's hard for me to imagine our world without a tiny helper in it. Sure projects might go more quickly or smoothly if we didn't get that special kind of help that only a doxie can give, but one year and three hundred sixty three days since our tiny helper first stepped paw into our house, I've come to realize that sometimes the help we need isn't the help we ask for, but what we get.



8 comments:

jen said...

How's the little guy's health these days? Sending all good thoughts.

mamamouseiam said...

My, what beautiful purses and scarves; you are very talented! Good luck at the show, I hope you sell out, and I do hope that Baxter and dad will fare ok without you!

Carolyn said...

Wow what beautiful purses. Why aren't any of these in your Etsy shop? (Baxter looks pretty good too!)

Rowdy and Bette said...

You seem to be pretty good at just about everything you do - making videos, blogging, photography, taking care of Baxter, constructing purses and fantastic Dachshund walking vests. How do you do it all? And do it all so well?

Love,
Joey and Maggie...

Bludog said...

I sure am glad the little guy is helping you. I don't know how you'd manage otherwise!

firstyouleap said...

I also love the purses. I notice some of them are long and low....a Baxter influence or are you a knitter like me?

Lorenza said...

Hi, Baxter!
Good job helping your Mom!
Tell her those purses are beautiful!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

kalyxcorn said...

hiya! life is definitely returning to normal for the little fella, though we haven't mustered up the courage to do the neck test just yet. I think we'll keep him on Rimadyl another week just to make sure he's OK. But we've started shorter walkies, and it definitely helps get those ants out of his pants.

:) i should probably do a post of all the clunker stuff I've made, just to put things in perspective. sometimes, I think sheer will alone can go a long way toward a successful outcome.

you know, just like music composition, knitting is something I can't get my brain around. I don't get it at all, even the one where you somehow use a spool with nails hammered in it and just wrap yarn around the nails. but yeah, there is something about that long and sleek form, isn't there?

etsy...oy vey. there are still many mental and real hurdles to overcome with getting the purses on. i'm sure i've made things too complicated for myself and there are things I should just do, but for now I'm happy just making things for a show that I do with my friend. It would be nice if we could find the right way to have an online presence together, because she and I make very complementary stuff and often collaborate anyway. The purses are currently made under her label, because it makes sense as she is by far the more personable of the two of us. The accounting on Etsy also pretty much limits sales to a simgle seller path.

But keep buggin me. It always helps. One day it'll sink in. Baby steps...!