Saturday, June 12, 2010

the dog, the stitch, and the wardrobe

There's a simple design philosophy out there that suggests looking into your closet for inspiration on how to decorate your home. Look into my closet, and I guess the rest of our house would have a decidedly unique, schizophrenic look. Sort of white wedding dress meets Kohls & Target basic tops meets thift store scores meets TJ Maxx bargains meets Ann Taylor & Banana Republic it-was-on-sale-and-it's-silk, meets Martin+Osa after christmas clearance meets stuff from the 80s and 90s that I no longer wear but hold on to for the day I need to cut them and use them in some wild project. Meets the hanging yardages of rich colored velvets from a millinery shop that was going out of business, meets the one vintage aqua kimono with gold threading that I didn't cut up from the box of old kimonos I got from Japan as a present from Big Boyfriend a few years ago, meets piles of bargain home dec and corduroy and yes even quilting fabric. Meets mauvy striped knockoff Kate Spade purse from Frisco Chinatown I bought in a moment of weakness, dresses and patent leather shoes in a variety of shapes for those just-in-case-i-need-it-and-i'll-never-be-able-to-find-it-then moments, sweaters from practically every decade since the 80s, and comfy cozy pajamas in a variety of weights and form factors.

You get the idea, and come to think of it, our house is decorated rather eclectically (though I drew the line at "wedding dress chic"), but really my point here is that despite all the stuff I have in our closet, I don't always seem to have something to wear. Like this summer, where I'm finally ready to let go of that surplice top look in favor of something more breezy and light, and, I'm sure to everyone's relief, less revealing.

Thankfully, I found an easy peasy Cynthia Rowley pattern from Simplicity that'll work really well for the hair up days of summer, that can either dress up or down depending on accessories and the fabric used. That can handle shorts or skirts or capris. And that will use up some of that fabric I've been collecting over the years. Win win all around, except for our poor overstuffed closet, and for tiny chumley, who thinks my time could be better spent rubbing his tummy and admiring his pinky pink ears.

9 comments:

Bludog said...

Those are great, and - let's face it - the only way I am going to fit into Cynthia Rowley is to make it myself... Her sizes run TINY, but then she only weighs about 3 lbs herself. Your tops look great, especially for living in a place that has about 8 months of summer by Chicago standards ;-)

kalyxcorn said...

Yeah she is a stick, isn't she? Her pattern is a little stick-y, too, but very easy to adjust to the human form! :)

Lorenza said...

Is it my imagination... or I had seen this post before??
Hmmm....
Happy weekend!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Alicia said...

You know, easy peasy is a relative term for those of us who are sewing challenged!

Beautiful tops, you will look marvelous darling!

mamamouseiam said...

Well done! Beautiful fabrics! I may have to investigate this pattern further... :-) Thanks for sharing.

mamamouseiam said...

Do you know the mfg. of the floral/bird/butterfly fabric? The more I look at it, the more I love, love, LOVE it! You are so creative - I'd never have thought to use that for a top!

kalyxcorn said...

hi mamamousejam! the fabric is happy, isn't it? the selvage says Cameron Inc, Patern 20739. It's lawn fabric. I bought it like a couple of years ago though from Fashion Fabrics Club, but you never know what they or others might still have! Good luck!

mamamouseiam said...

Thanks for the info, kalyxcorn. So far, I've had no luck with that particular fabric, but I'm going to keep looking! :)

kalyxcorn said...

hey mamamousejam - FFC has the fabric in equally pretty blues and greens! Hope you get a chance to read this as there is a 15% off coupon sale going on right now, too!!

http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=GGG276