Wednesday, June 2, 2010

tiny bubbles

It's funny how some things come naturally for the little kielbasa while other things don't. When tiny chumley first came into our lives some two and a half years ago, a passerby got a good chuckle out of seeing us paused at a fire hydrant, me trying to pique Baxter's interest in what every other dog knows to be the canine equivalent of Facebook, and Baxter doing a pretty good job of being disinterested. Sniffing and marking fire hydrants, and leg lifting in general? Not his cup of pee, apparently.

Bunny sniffing and chasing clicked instantly for the little kielbasa, and squirrels came on the radar once the bunnies became scarce in the fall. Yes, although there were some things I thought should be instinctual but weren't, there were definitely things that he just knew he could, should, and would do. Like bobbing for carrots, now an ancient tradition spanning two generations of doxies in our household.




The happy song, by the way, is from My Neighbor Totoro, a thoughtful and delightful animated Hayao Miyazaki film, which I had the pleasure of watching again recently with my own little totoro by my side.

11 comments:

Jeanne said...

Ooh! We love Bugs Bunny too, Baxter!

Stacey said...

Hilarious! Murph bobs for apples. :)

Annie's Mama said...

I had no idea dachshunds did that! Annie & I are going to play a new game when I get home from work! The video was great, Baxter- you are a star.

3 doxies said...

We won't even bob fur kibble that falls into our water bowls.
Puddles

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

Hey Baxter, I thought all dachshunds Loved to bob for carrots and other snacks. It's a blast, isn't it???
PeeS... I posted pics of my Milkbone Harvest today... just for you!! Thanks for the grrrreat suggestion. They are YUMMY..

Bludog said...

Molly will eat a carrot if nothing better is on offer; however - and be very clear on this - she's not bobbing for it!

Agnes B. Bullock said...

Wow- we didn't know we could bob for carrots!!! Have to tell Mom about this.

kalyxcorn said...

hee - Molly is such a seasoned woman, she knows what she can get away with. Little Three Year Old doesn't realize yet how many things he could not be doing for food, or that he should be holding out for the good stuff! At our local wiener festival they do hotdog bobbing contests! I can't wait to hear how everyone's bobbing goes (or not, for the puddles househould! :))

Taffy said...

Thanks a lot Baxter! Now my mom has some wild ideas running through her mind. And, I do NOT like water, except for drinking.
I don't know what it is about you but you always make my mom smile real big.....she giggled everytime you stuck your honker in the water for those carrots today.
That Puddles cracks me up!
Snuggles,
Twix

Kerri said...

Minnie loved baby carrots -- and popcorn and grapes and the ends off the ears of corn -- but we never tried bobbing for them. My favorite water dish trick of hers was when she'd drop one of her toyfriends in the empty bowl, as if to say, "Do you SEE how DRY this is?! See that my stuffed toyfriend is NOT. WET. What's missing here?"

P.S. Love that my captcha has "weeny" in it! lol

Lorenza said...

Hi, Baxter!
I loved your video!
I have never done that! Looks like you are an expert!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza