Friday, October 9, 2009

make it: easy peasy practically free dog bed

Maintaining Baxter's good life doesn't always have to come with a hefty price tag. Sure there are indulgent "necessities" like his deluxe travel snoozer, but then there are the things that keep him happy on the cheap like the giant shirtball. Need a tenth doggie bed around the house? Of course you do. Just do like I did and make it for practically free.

My quest for extra bedding on the cheap ended once I walked down the baking aisle at BJs. There I was confronted with gi-normous bags of almonds, walnuts, and pecans, all packaged up for my next ten years' worth of baking needs. Yeah I did buy a bag of almonds for all the smoothies I planned to make, but my real prize for the day was the box that stored the nut bags in an orderly fashion. Sturdy, low, and free for the taking, this box was perfect and perfectly sized for our little galumphagus.

Whether the box is from BJs or maybe from the produce guy at the grocery store, the next step is quick and easy. I filled Baxter's boxes with cushiony stuff I already had lying around the house like old towels & blankies, too-holey to shirtball anymore shirts, old bed pillows, and fleece from previous and future projects. Cover everything however craftily you'd like, and there you have it, an instant practically free dog bed, with the added bonus of saving stuff from the landfill and/or clearing up space in your closet and floors. Enjoy!


5 comments:

Nibbles Treats said...

Love it - great idea. You look quite comfy Baxter.

Lots of treats,
Tinkerbell, Oscar and Tucker

sadermaxx said...

Thats a really nice bed, Baxter!

Lorenza said...

Hi, Baxter!
That is a pawesome idea! Too bad I have only to choices to sleep... on the sofa or on the big bed that my mom thinks belong to her!
The steps I use to come up and down from the sofa and the bed are "homemade". My mom made them with cardboxes too!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

kalyxcorn said...

cardboard boxes are the best! happy friday everyone! :)

Rowdy and Bette said...

Like the princess and the pea, we're betting a pea at the bottom would drive him nuts. :)