Thursday, November 5, 2009

an early thanksgiving

Even before Halloween arrived, stores were stocking their shelves with Christmas items and decorations this year. A sign of the economy, I know, but also a reminder in my mind that the celebrations in life don't have to be bound to tradtitional dates, or the timing of specific decoration.

Today, for instance, marks the day our chub chub first planted paws in our home. As this early picture of Baxter illustrates, we were both unsure of what our futures held that night, yet we trusted each other enough to know that somehow we would make it work.

For little kielbasa, I'm sure today is just a day like any other, save for the fact that he can't hunt just yet. But for me, this is my day of thanksgiving, the day I am grateful this little wonder stepped into our lives and enriched it, merely by being his little sausagey self. I'll take Christmas decorations in October, just as I'll take my Thanksgiving now, without a turkey or pilgrim in sight. Every day is a holiday with Baxter in the house.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baxter--so glad you've found your forever home, too!

Kate & Allie

Alicia said...

What an adorable "plumpkin"! Happy Thanksgiving Baxter and family!

holykowkirby said...

My eyes are wet but my heart is oh so warm! Both my guys celebrate their birthdays and their homecoming days, with the later being my favorite. Kirby's coming home day was July 4 which truly is his "In-dependence" Day!

Lorenza said...

Sure this is a special day!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

kalyxcorn said...

ain't he a plumper here? some chubby dogs are nice and firm but chubby Baxter was always a nice bowl full of jelly. i do wonder what it was like in his original home, young pupper camped out by the food bowl.

kalyxcorn said...

i love how kirby's homecoming is July 4th. fireworks just for him!!! :)