Thursday, December 31, 2009

year end post



As if gray hair wasn't enough to let the world know that I'm getting older, yesterday I found myself cantankerous enough to be almost tempted to write a letter to the editor of our local newspaper. Yep, chalk it up with all the things I already do that tells me in not so subtle ways that I am not as young as I think I am, like moisturize and wear woolen socks and let out a weightlifter's groan when I push myself up from a squat.

I'm actually ok with aging, much as I like to make fun of it. Most all the physical stuff I don't mind because it's what makes me unique and I earned every weird nook, cranny, and wrinkle. But I find it curious and inexplicable that I should end this year bothered by another person's letter to the editor. Perhaps this kind of thing just comes with age, or perhaps it was the blogging that planted the seed from which my voice still grows.

I started Kalyxcornucopia this year on a whim, intending it as a refuge where Baxter's dad could visit for a quick slice of cutie kielbasa pie before returning to the stress and doldrums of work. It never occurred to me that this blog might call out to new friends, new perspectives, and even new creative outlets. All of this, because one day I gave up the notion of achieving perfection, and instead took the plunge, ready or not, and corrected as I went along. A way of life that I think Baxter could have taught me much earlier if I had only listened to what his actions had to say.

This blog, Baxter's life, my life, are all still works in progress. It's hard to imagine what challenges and joys might greet us in the coming year, but I hope we can meet them all with the goofy grace and charm that only a dachshund can bring into the fray. My life, enriched by a seventeen pound fur covered kielbasa, lived one day at a time.

9 comments:

Rowdy and Bette said...

We're sure glad you started blogging this year - we miss the awesome youtube videos, but have learned a lot more about you and Baxter via the blog. Hoping 2010 offers lots more kalyxcornucopia goodness.

angie said...

i love your blog, it's definitely one of my faves. your creativity and wit coupled with fantastic photos of an adorable ween brighten my day.

bald belly!!!!!!!

Alicia said...

Your blog is great. Funny how some Dachshund owners from all around the continent can come together and share dog/life situations and even offer good advice. It's heartwarming.

I learned a long time ago (yes, the earth was still cooling and dinosaurs roamed the earth) from my maternal grandfather to write letters to the newspaper and be bothersome to my elected officials. It is an activity I enjoy and it keeps me from becoming complacent. I suppose that I'm on my to being a well seasoned crabby old lady!

Happy New Year to all!!

old lady said...

Happy New Year to all!

Thanks for the past postings and looking forward to more doxie adventures! May all be healthy and happy in the coming year!!

Anonymous said...

I love this blog. Baxter is quite the journalist.

Lorenza said...

Hi, Baxter and Mom!
I am very happy to have found your blog!
I enjoy reading your posts every day!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Bludog said...

Does Baxter have a Harry Potter lightning bolt in his crotch-tacular area??? Molly wants to know.

angie said...

bwahahaha!!! i was wondering something of the sort, but couldn't find the right words to ask. those were them.

Baxter said...

ha! he does, can u believe it? we call it his mark of Zorro, but I like the harry potter crotchtacular reference even better. I don't know how widespread the policy is, but apparently whoever fixed him made sure to tattoo him with an N for neutered. Like not having a pair would be sign enough that he, well, doesn't have a pair anymore. Judging from his latest experiences with his cousin Jasper, I suspect he wishes he had some of Harry Potter's powers lately...expelliaramus! (well I am sure there are better ones but I never read the books and that's the only one I sorta remember)