Friday, January 1, 2010

year of the cat

If the end of 2009 is any indication of what this year will be like, then 2010 will definitely be the year of the cat. It's not enough that Baxter sometimes arches his back just like a kitty for his morning stretch, or hangs out during the day on one of his many kitty perches to watch the world go by. No, he also tracks and catches bugs, grooms his paws fastidiously, and even prefers cat food over dog food if given the choice. Though he is a doxie, my little kielbasa is, in many ways, a cat at heart.

As if I needed another reminder of Baxter's transpecies tendencies, tiny chumley took it upon himself to make it known once again that he is part feline. Sounds of destruction emanated from the room next door, the muffled chomping, tearing, and ripping that comes when Baxter is busy destuffing a toyfriend. Buh-bye, stuffed squeaky christmas fortune cookie, I figured. We hardly knew thee.

Yet when I arrived at the crime scene to photograph the evidence, a very different picture greeted my expectant eyes. The tidy skein of yarn that I had bought to dye for snowpup sweaters, the very one I had forgotten to pick up when it had fallen to the floor earlier in the day, was wildy strewn about the floor like a spilled pot of spaghetti noodles. In the middle of his pasta pile stood my guilty boy. And christmas fortune cookie sat, untouched, only inches away.

Baxter's fortune cookie toy tag proclaims a promise of many bones to its beholder, but I think Baxter has his own proclamation to make. Welcome, my friends, to 2010, year of the kitty kielbasa.

5 comments:

Lorenza said...

Happy New Year Baxter, Mom and Dad!
My mom thinks I am part feline too! I ark my back too like a kitty!
Sure you had fun with that yarn!
Are you going to help your mom to re-do it??
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Elizabeth said...

oh my god! Baxter is Lulu's separated twin. She's done the same thing.

Bludog said...

It must be a Doxie thing ... Molly is very cat-like. Cat beds suit her better than dog beds, and she has a little cat tunnel that she dearly loves. We will not talk about her feline abilities with mice and rats ... not when we've just eaten...

kalyxcorn said...

whoa, a mouser! now that's what I'm talkin about. great job, molly! that cat tunnel sounds really interesting. what does she do with it? I wonder if baxter might like that..

hey how is lulu's back?

hi kitty girl lorenza! I caught myself wanting to undo that mess but realized I was better off just cutting what I needed for one snowpup and dyeing that. now I just need to remember not to throw it in the wash along with the other dyed stuff because I ended up with mis-shapen felt balls!

Your host said...

Well, when we saw this we quickly reminded Mom that life isn't about worrying what we might injest while scheming against, attacking and overcoming various items such as Dad's decoy shoe in his closet (Ha! It supposedly distracts us from chewing his other shoes...all in good time! Dad's an easy mark :-) No! Life is about the scheming, attacking and overcoming and we want more of it! We are very happy that your mom blogs and that our mom reads it. Mom's already talking about making us a shirt ball! Just before January falls off the calendar, we wish you a wonderful new year! Love, Penny & Rosie...the Bonnies to your Clyde