Wednesday, January 27, 2010

lil pink socks

When Baxter first came into our lives, I was determined to keep our new boy bribe free. My boy was going to do great things for me, be the Lassie who saves me from the well out of the purity of the love we shared, not because he knew I had a snack in my pocket when I fell in. I figured my goals were realistic, because our 23 pound hound wasn't very food motivated at the time anyway. He had yet to figure out that there was no horn of plenty from which kibble freely flowed like in his original home. And so, he miraculously did the simple things we wanted him to do, without the need for payment in the usual forms of funding a doxie accepts, something edible or shreddable.

That is, until he achieved his ideal weight.

Baxter and I both have become a lot wiser in the two years we have been together. There is trust, there is love, but there is also payment for a job well done. At the end of every session of jazzing, shuffling, and taptoeing, after every crazy thing I might ask him to do, Baxter collects his paycheck as gratefully as I am happy to give it. Work leads to food leads to tummy love.

Yesterday's work was going to be pretty simple, I thought. Baxter would easily earn his week's rawhide knot just by modeling the baby hat and gloves that we found at tiny molly's park, that I had washed back to life just that morning.

Rawhide, once a thing to be buried and savored later, now the ultimate motivator to be gobbled in a flash. Too motivating, perhaps, because all Baxter wanted to do was rush the photo shoot and collect his payment early. "Gimme my rawhide now or I'm going on strike!", he barkingly protested, though it's hard to take a doxie wearing pink socks very seriously.

11 comments:

Fernanda e Pink said...

Socks? Beautiful!
Hat? Beautiful!
All the clothes? Cool!

sadermaxx said...

Hi Baxter

Love the socks, I bet they keep your feet nice and warm !

DogZoom said...

Your Dachshund stories and pictures are amazing, we love them! We would also love you to introduce the Dachshund breed to the world in our Breed Info Challenge!

Alli and Frankie said...

Just when I thought I wouldn't smile much today. . . ;) Baxter is too cute, as always!

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Woof! LOVE it!!! Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Anonymous said...

The look on Baxter's face is priceless. If that isn't one peeved doxie! He's probably thinking "wearing a hat is bad enough, but socks? PINK SOCKS!! No self respecting doxie wears socks (or booties, either)!

Sandra said...

Baxter, those socks really bring out your eyes. Who says a guy can't rock some serious pink footwear? Cuteness!

kalyxcorn said...

heehee! i must say i do look cute and not too girly, right? i guess i shouldn't have protested as much as i did. just don't show these pictures to duk duk or i'll never hear the end of it. and let's not even talk about the smoking tail. strange how those guys have left me alone lately....

Lorenza said...

Hi, Baxter!
I agree. Pink socks?? Hmmm...
Well... I have to admit you look adorable! And sure you deserved your rawhide!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Taffy said...

The things we won't do to make our humans happy, eh? I've always loved a man who was in touch with his feminine side!
Snuggles,
Twix

Dog Training Fort Collins said...

Wow I like the socks. I like the pictures, so cute.