Tuesday, January 26, 2010

a rite of passage

My little sack of potatoes managed to situate himself just so in my lap while we we had the sofa to ourselves yesterday evening, so that both my arms looked like they were playing Twister with my precariously placed laptop, and I felt like I was working in the confines of 2x2 cubbyhole. No matter how I moved the little kielbasa, there he was, coming back to fill nooks and crannies like hot, flowing lava.

In all fairness to Baxter, I'm not usually surfing the internet during the hours when our pack watches TV, during the time when he is invited onto the sofa and usually ends up in my lap. A symbiotic relationship, really, especially in winter when we all could use the extra warmth. But yesterday, I had the bug to google and needed my lap for my laptop. Yeah, they call it that for a reason, I told Baxter in my head, though a sleeping sack of potatoes doesn't seem to care much proper terminology.

The thing was, I was googling for him. Planning ahead, for the day less than two years from now when my boy becomes a man..dog. Planning, for the milestone that I've blasphemously pegged as Baxter's Woof Mitzvah, the time in his life when he turns five years old, and, like his brothers before him, is entitled to shed nylon collar of his youth and can don the rolled leather collar of adulthood.

Yep, that's right. Rolled leather collar of adulthood. Or more specifically in Baxter's case, forest green rolled leather collar of adulthood. To last a lifetime, like the lifelong commitment we made when we adopted him. Woof Mitzvah. Five years old. What, dogs can't have milestones, too?

Now, finding leather collars is easy. Finding well made rolled leather collars? Still pretty easy. But finding a well made dark green rolled leather collar in Baxter's size? That was source of my googlitis, the reason why I was willing to put up with my elephant man-ly contortions while sleeping beauty dozed away. The less I found, the more determined I became to find the goods.

So far, I've found only one supplier that fits the bill, a master saddler of the Royal Mews in the UK that also happens to make custom rolled leather collars, and offers it in the very chipper Baxter green I was looking for. Part of me yikes at the thought of such extravagance, but most of me is very intrigued by what is sure to be a fine piece of work for our fine piece of work. After all, it's for his Woof Mitzvah.

12 comments:

♥Mona + Prissy + Angel Weenie♥ said...

Hey Baxter!!

A sack of taters, what a cute nickname but you are lots cuter than a sake of taters.

Love he pic ogm you gertting belly rubs.

{{{huggies}}}...Mona

Bludog said...

I will be happy to take a look at next month's dog show in Chicago. It's as big as Westminster (if not quite as prestigious) and has at least a couple of hundred vendors. 14"? Dark green. I'm on it.

Anonymous said...

So--the equivalent at our house and what must have been our bat-mitzvah---mommy got us winter and summer dapper duds made by your mom! :--O
Kate & Allie!

Fernanda e Pink said...

he is with a cute collar . We love the visit in our blog!

Alli and Frankie said...

I love the green. I'm puzzled as to why it would be so hard to find it. The harnesses were nice, too. Once when I was going to buy an expensive pair of boots, a friend told me to divide the price by as many times as I was going to wear them. I wore them a lot! Baxter will wear it every day - the price isn't that bad.

Besides, who can resist that face?! Oh my goodness. I think it's his nose that gets me. :)

Anonymous said...

Hmm- Woof Mitzvah
I figure, in dog/human years it should be around age (human) 2. But with Ike, he graduated from nylon to a rolled leather (red) collar when he reached full size. He certainly hasn't reached maturity yet (he's 14 months old)!! I've always thought that a rolled leather collar is the most handsome (but check out Joey and Maggie's collection!!)

Lorenza said...

I am sure your Mom is going to find the perfect one for you!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Cole said...

A Woof Mitzvah sounds like a fabulous idea!!

Anonymous said...

"the long and short of it all" site for 6/28/09 shows off Maggie's and Joey's many collars. I say, though, go for the green rolled leather collar if that will be the most handsome for your guy.

kalyxcorn said...

ooh, I am going to Joey n Maggie's now for a looksy!

yeah 5 may not be a literal translation to a human bar mitzvah, but since there is no doggie equivalent of shaving (not that shaving is a bar mitzvah thing), I figure I can go with when the gray hairs start creeping in. Sort of like my rule of thumb that I imposed on Baxter's dad about redefining casual dress at age 50 so that it involves shirts with collars on them, rather than going out in public in ratty tees that are over ten years old.

Your host said...

I can't wait to share the idea of a woof mitzvah with my grown kids...two bar and one bat mitzvah veterans. Those collars made by the master saddler you found are slick and I'm very tempted to order one for Penny when she's 5 in 2 more years and Rosie when it's her turn.

Best barks to Baxter from his girl friends

kalyxcorn said...

ha! do post pictures - and it looks like Penny and Baxter will share the same woof mitzvah year. yippee!