Sunday, October 10, 2010

mister beefy


Twenty two pounds. My jaw nearly dropped to the floor when I heard the vet tech call out tiny chumley's weight on Friday. The last time he weighed that much, tiny boyfriend was our little mr jigglypuff, our chubby checkers, our newly adopted boy whom we immediately put on a diet and exercise routine to lose the four pounds he needed to get to his then ideal weight of eighteen pounds. The last time he weighed twenty two pounds? Almost three whole roly poly years ago.

I was kinda shocked, but then I started thinking. It wouldn't have been the first time that wiener weight would have gotten away from us. Every doxie we've ever owned seems to have enjoyed a period of obesity, that blissful time in their lives when we lose perspective and their sad puppy dog eyes and sometimes outright demands yielded them a bounty of snacks and treats. Fattened, so much so that they looked butterball turkeys disguised in smooth red fur coats, ready for roasting and so generously marbled that they would most definitely be the self basting variety. A momentary lapse that we always managed to correct once the blinders were taken away from us.

But with Baxter I figured we were more aware, more vigilant to that kind of thing. We limit his snacks or at least make up for it at meal times, we go walkies and let him romp in the backyard, we train for his meals. Dang. Maybe I wasn't subtracting enough dry kibble when adding his nightly scoop of fiber and wet food. But how could I have missed this?

Busted, I sheepishly asked how many pounds Baxter should shed.

"Maybe a pound, but he's not far off from where he should be really."

What? Three years ago we were told he should be around eighteen pounds.

"I can feel his ribs and he's not got much of a belly. That extra four pounds is muscle weight," said the vet.

Wow. Wait, what? Muscles? On a dachshund? Our dachshund? The new Mister that's-not-junk-but-muscle-in-my-trunk? I looked down at Baxter, who seemingly gave me a wink before happily trundling off to investigate all the strange smells on the exam room floor. Twenty two pounds. The new weight standard for my beefy four legged boyfriend.

12 comments:

K9 Katastrophie said...

Chubby Puppie!!

Licks,
Ruthie

Stacey said...

Good on ya Bax! Murphy is pretty muscley too, from all the jumping up and down, I think. :)

Bludog said...

Dang, Baxter's all buff and brawny and stuff! Molly likes her fellas filled out. Makes her look thinner by comparison ;-)

Lorenza said...

Baxter!
That is my weight too!
My mom can feel my ribs too. I guess all those pounds are in my... you know... just like my mom!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Anonymous said...

Baxter looks perfect to me!
Beautiful pup :-)
My lil' Hildy weights 8 pounds!
She was only 6 when we adopted her - yikes so so boney. Doctor says she is perfect (weight wise - lol)

We love Baxter!

Nancy & Hildy

Kerri said...

I bet it's all that "Dancing with the Stars" and backyard chasing that he's been doing!

firstyouleap said...

Go Baxter! Jeeves is really muscular (and STRONG). When he gained weight in the last couple of years, the vet also said it's muscle and I can't argue with that, he's very well built

On Halloween Jeeves wears a tuxedo collar and bow tie--Our Chicago Dachshund Lover group christened him the "Chippendale Dancer." m

kalyxcorn said...

ooooh cheyn2923, how many are there in the chippendales? cuz i totally think we could start a chippendox club - all body types welcome! :)

hee hee - miss kerri don't tell mom but duk duk n me? been doing wii fit! we had to figure out what to use for weights and decided to use each other. needless 2 say, duk duk is realllly ripped. me, well, i'm only lifting a duk, which really explains why mom didn't notice!

hi nancy n hildy! i know you'd be perfect no matter what your size, cutie pie!

yay, lorenza u and i are weight twins! and junk - muscle - in da trunk twins! ;)

oh molly, u would still look small next to me n Jeeves!

hi k-9 katastrophe n miss stacey!!

Doxie Rod said...

good job, mr. baxter! gaining muscle and showing what us doxies can do! muscleman. that doxie chest of yours looks very handsome.

Texas The Doxie said...

Wooof look at you!! Me Im only like 11 lbs

Ammo the Dachshund said...

way to pump that iron B!

angie said...

wow, baxter's a big boy!! riley's quite the beefcake too - his chest and hind legs are massive! they remind me of a nice, plump chicken...