Thursday, February 10, 2011

bed slob


There must be something magical about turning four in a dachshund's life. At least for this little kielbasa. A switch of some sort that flipped on December 12th and told my little friend that he must from now on dig thru blankie after blankie in his bed, to get down to its supposed comfy core. Strewing his bedding carelessly about like a little kid digging through his toybox. Turning each bed he encounters into a disheveled pile of fleece, down, and whatever else I might have stuffed into a box to give my boy the cushiony comfort I thought he wanted. A switch that turned him into a total teenage bed slob.

It used to be that fresh-from-the-foster-home-Baxter would climb delicately into his bed, first lying gently atop whatever bedding he encountered.  Hardly leaving a trace of his presence after he left it.

As Baxter got older and began sleeping with us more regularly, a new phenomenon.  The uncanny ability to wiggle himself under the top layer of blankie, covering himself as he had seen his mom and dad do. Using his blankie the way he saw us use ours, and still leaving a fairly tidy bed in his wake.

But now at the ripe old age of four, it's now all about the digging. The rooting about.  The undoing of that which I redo everyday.

I am actually quite heartened that our journey has led us here, to the point where the little kielbasa thinks of this place and his beds as his home and sees fit to make it his own.  His little den, to be made however he likes in whatever fashion he'd like. I am heartened, even as I tidy up one colorful blankie explosion after another.

Home is most definitely where this little bed slob lies.

7 comments:

Bludog said...

Straightening the blankies is the reason we were put here - you didn't know?! Our beloved Doberman Sadie (THE Bludog) used to get me up at 2 and 3 and 4 in the morning to arrange her blankies just so. I would jump out of bed, lunging for shoes, thinking she need "out," when actually she needed "in" - tucked in, that is. At least Molly can rearrange her own bed!

Sandra said...

Flash is forever burrowing and digging and rearranging. It can go on for a while too. He moves one blanket this way, pushes another one that way, bunches that one up, but flattens the other one. I can't make out the logic behind it all but I'm sure there is a reason for all the rearranging. They really get a kick out of it though which is all that matters at the end.

wanlai2001 said...

We are very happy for Baxter. Oh indeed he is home. He knows he can do whatever he pleases at home. Having adopted Odie for 3.5 years now, I could see him being more and more at home as well. For example, when I raise my voice at him (whether to scold or to make fun of him), he is now quick to tell me, using his facial expression that he is not pleased/amused. It used to be that he just take in whatever I said with full submission. Ha.

Hannalei said...

Nothing is better than watching them bloom into their little personalities that have been hidden for much too long. I'm currently waiting to see Toby unfold. : )

BTW... my Weens.. they saw his blankies.. they is jealous. I guess I need to get nicer blankies for my babies now. Such a bad mom I am.

HH and The Boys said...

Who wouldn't dig through those beautiful blankets. What a great bed. Stay warm and secure, Baxter.

pawhugs, Max

kalyxcorn said...

hee hee, u r a good mom, bludog! early on when i would wake up all untucked from my bed at night, i would walk over to the motion detector nite light to turn it on cuz really, my sad face doesn't work so well in the dark, and well, let's just say u know where i ended up every night! :)

oh miss sandra, sometimes my rear is so high in the air diggin around that you'd think it was my head! except that well, it makes with the stinkies sometimes so nobody really ever gets it mixed up. my best to mister flash!

hee hee, odie is such a lovely character! i always look forward to your blog updates!!

oh yeah miss hannalei u got quite a nice study on doxies goin on in your house! too bad u do not live closer cuz i would so luv a play date!

hi max! do u have a bed? mo says cats pretty much get to make the whole house their bed and when i heard that, i was so jealous! me, i think i would want to try sleeping in the kitchen sink. close to the cutting board where all the good stuff gets cut up. :)

Lorenza said...

It is very important to have our bed/blankies in the way we want them, right?
My mom says I am funny sometimes. I start digging on one side of the bed and then I go to sleep on the other side!
Hmmm....
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza