Monday, April 11, 2011

mumbolarkey

The windmills that I have been fighting lately have mostly been technical in nature, thanks to my notion that our lives could be greatly enhanced if we found a way to wean ourselves off of cable television and migrate to a less expensive platform of nightly entertainment.  And watch it in grand 55" high def blu ray style over the fireplace, all while enjoying it in a newly hardwood floored, freshly painted, smooth ceilinged, happily area rugged family room.

I willingly engaged in my folly because I thought most certainly that all these things would fit in the budget we had in our minds.  How difficult or expensive could any of this stuff be, really?  I mean, I knew that the traditional housework would be pricey and take some time, but the electronics?  Heck all we need is to get one big TV, pay somebody to mount it and fish the cables, sign up for netflix and we're done, right?

The fact that there are three different types of illumination for a flat panel TV should have been my first clue. The fact that they further splinter down into things like edge lit and full array should have been my second. The fact that there are a gajillion ways to stream Netflix to any television, an easy third. The more I dug, the more mumbo jumbo marketing malarkey I had to decipher, and the more I realized the fast paced technology based world we live in today is strung together by a hope and a prayer.  I hope the next firmware release will fix my problem.  I pray that my outrageously priced Smartboy television with qwerty keyboard doesn't crap out the day after my all too short warranty expires.

The fact is, I now realize, I feel there are just too many unproven options at the moment for me to justifiably invest a large amount of bucks to do what I thought I wanted to do.  Sorry second Best Buy dude who ended up helping me cuz Best Buy guy number one's eyes glazed over when I asked him about the feature differences and cost differential between the D series models of the television I thought I wanted, but thank you for spending an hour with me mapping out a budgety home theater system and helping me understand that the best investment I could make right now is an upgrade our wireless network.   Because, duh, G is so six years ago.

faster data transfer speeds across two different bandwidths and better penetration of concrete and brick walls? repeated the little kiebasa when told what made our freshly installed dual band gigabit N router so different.  but wouldn't that mean mind controlling aliens could pick up on our signals and if they find us shouldn't we really be like shielding our heads and hiding under blankies with our running shoes on just in case they find us so we can run like the wind??

Why yes baby dog, I do believe we should. :)


16 comments:

Dog Sitting Los Angeles said...

I like your post very much this is very interesting and informative and I really enjoyed to read this.
the photo of dog is very good and this dog is very cute.
Thank you for sharing with us.

kalyxcorn said...

aw thank u mistermiss dog sitting los angeles. i hope when u sit on the dogs u do not crush them because if they are anything like me, they will not like it. but maybe the dos of los angeles are different! :)

Keren Hening said...

"Noooway, Dude, like we Angeleeeeenos dislike the whole sit-stay-down-crush thing, like fer shure, man. Luv ya an' I reaaaally luv yer duds, Dude!" Janis the Muppet.

Melinda said...

Technical overload... so many options! The answer for us, we stopped watching tv! Our enjoyment is to be had through our Roku/Netflix box! Great part is, only $10 a month! ;) Ever wonder why it all has to be so complicated?? ;) Oh, and yay for finishing the floor, bet it looks lovely!

Anonymous said...

Great outfit, Baxter, love the shiny hat! You look completely prepared to flee from the aliens! ;)

HH and The Boys said...

Oh...oh... I'm heading for the tin foil right now. Like your shoes, pal... where'd ya get 'em.

be safe,

pawhugs, Max

kalyxcorn said...

hee hee, thank u miss keren - i mean miss janis the muppet!

yes miss simply smitten it seems we are totally headed that way cuz mom is lookin to buy that there roku thingy this week now that she upgraded our network and exposed us to alien visits. i guess maybe that way if the come we can entertain them with some movies or sumptin! mom says the flooring is in motion but not done yet. the guys who i gave an ankle bath to needs to tell us how much everything will cost and when he can do it!

thank u miss taylor! i sure hope it is sufficient because well, me do not think i will likey aliens! i am also thinking of digging an underground bunker like dorothy had from the wizard of oz. it would be a perfect project 4 me, don't u think?

hi max! from my mom of course! but i will ask her and let u know. they say carter's in them with a great big one in there. i think the one stands for number one in running speed, which is good cuz i really gotta be able to run from those aliens whenever they come.

Bludog said...

And that's what happens when engineers go shopping for appliances or electronics...

Sort of like when a finance MBA talks insurance, mortgage refi or retirement planning. Those people run screaming from me...

Anonymous said...

I bet your underground bunker would turn out great! Your little paws could probably dig a huge tunnel/cave! ;)

Alicia said...

I really only understand the on/off switches, volume and channel changer. The rest is gibberish, and for too long we've paid for hundreds of TV channels that we will never watch. When I was young, and dinosaurs roamed the earth, we had 3 stations out of NYC, one fuzzy station from Philly, and some local stuff. TV was free. I was happy. Being outside was so much more fun, and still is now.

I really love the headgear! Looks like something I can fashion for myself one of these days.

M.A said...

Baxter, have you ever thought of being a model? You sure look like one...

And I don't understand the difference between technologies... I get whatever Kona's dad tells me is good! :-)

kalyxcorn said...

hee hee, miss bludog, mom says u might be on to something. the only thing is mom hates to invest all that time getting smart when all mumbolarkey lingo changes every three months!

me so hope so miss taylor lynn!

yes miss alicia,it is funny that we are sort of thinking of returning that lifestyle, plus ondemand streaming. mom misses the days when vcrs were considered complicated! ooh yes i highly recommend u make a foil hat because it is also good for keeping your head dry during walkies.

hee hee thank u miss maryanne! i have never thought of being a model but i sure have thought about making one! a rocket ship! mom says u r luckee mr kona's dad stares at all that stuff. it is so much work! :)

Lorenza said...

Reading your post... make us happy that we don't have all those options here!
Hmmm....
Baxter... you look adorable!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

kalyxcorn said...

yes lorenza it is crazy right now and thank u! :)

Anonymous said...

Baxter is quite possibly the most patient dog I have ever witnessed!!

kalyxcorn said...

hee hee, it's all about the snackies mistermiss anonymous!! :)