Thursday, August 20, 2009

static cling

Baxter's most relaxed days are the ones he that knows are going to quite predictable. When the world behaves as he expects it, he is an independent little kielbasa who is free to follow the sun throughout the day, roasting himself a nice shade of brown all while mom and dad do their thing. When Baxter's day is predictable, he is content and free to go about his daily business, secure in the knowledge that his home and the people inside it are ok.

As I awoke early to the torment of a mosquito buzzing about my head, Baxter must have decided that today would not be one of those normal days. Most times when his beauty sleep has been cut short, he'll trundle off to his pillow by the foot of our bed and sleep some more, holding on to the hope that things will get back to normal, all while I work on de-hagging myself for the day. But there he was, wrapped around my feet like a cuddly warm blanket, a serious case of static cling for a little dachshund. Some days, I suppose, even happy pups need a little extra lovin.

Somebody please call the office and let them know I can't come in today...

9 comments:

Nibbles Treats said...

Awwww. Poor Baxter. Oscar follows our mom around from room to room sitting by her feet whining. When she finally picks him up, he buries his nose in her neck and cuddles. Doxies are so funny!

Lots of treats,
Tinkerbell, Oscar and Tucker

kalyxcorn said...

i can't imagine how folks with bigger dogs manage cause I know they also want to cuddle! As it is now, Baxter barely fits my lap when I'm working the web. Then he gets a rather disappointed look on his face when I have to put him back on his bed because my legs fell asleep. Oh the life of a little doggie!

Lorenza said...

Hi, Baxter!
I read your mom's comment and the same happens here! I can't fit on my mom's lap but I like to be there and there is a point where she can't feel her legs!
I love your picture!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Nicole (WYD) said...

Aww he's adorable!! :) Rusty also gets like that, surprisingly Lila is very self sufficent. (As much as she can be!)

Love and puppy cuddles!
Nicole from Who's Your Dachshund?

Alicia said...

While I read about your clinging Baxter, my very needy boy, Oskar, is draped across my shoulders. He climbs from my lap and settles down with his face glued to my right ear and cheek (easy access to kissing when I turn ever so slightly) and his butt balanced on my left shoulder, ready to perfume the air, you know...to protect us from evil doers. Keeps my neck from chills in the winter!

Taffy said...

Baxter, we call that needing "Momma Love". Sometimes that is what it takes to make the world right again.
Snuggles,
Twix

Rowdy and Bette said...

Baxter is such a sweetie. I wonder if that is a male dog thing or something. Joey gets like that, but Maggie never does.

firstyouleap said...

Those pics capture the mood perfectly!
Jeeves oozes onto my arm after attempts to draw me away from the computer have failed. Sometimes he tries to put his loooong nose on the keyboard but we usually settle into a cozy, way to cute for words, cuddle. Melinda

kalyxcorn said...

Never had a girl doxie though we were close to it before Bax came to live with us. But so glad he did! I just love how cuddly doxies are. Bax won't look forward to it but winter is especially nice to have a doxie, they curl up just so and are excellent lap warmers!!