Wednesday, August 5, 2009

wednesday's dachshund is full of wonder

I've sometimes wondered what it would be like if Baxter could talk. What would he sound like? What would he say? It's not like he can't already tell us what he's thinking. "Rowh, rowh!," he sometimes barks when we're training, roughly translates into "do I really have to work for this? be a pal and just give me the food already!" Multiple barks in a row, so fast they're strung together like a rapid fire machine gun scream, "Red alert! All hands on deck and prepare battlestations!" A less than energetic "mwoof" does double duty, telling us that Baxter has heard something at a far off distance, but that it's so far off he's just gonna stay the course and continue tanning his tummy, sleeping lazily in the sun.

Baxter's ways of communicating with the world aren't solely confined to the bark. Trying to stay still so as to not give away his presence, his whole body micro-quivers with utter excitement when he spies a rabbit just outside his window. If he raises his left front paw after spying a rabbit on a walk, know that hunt is on and rabbit chase is imminent. Though he rarely gets the results he likes with it, a ridge of hackles tells the world that he is one tough doggie meant to be reckoned with. Ears pricked and tail wagging? Baxter is intrigued by whatever it is that has his attention, whether a tiny bug crossing the windowsill or the alluring scent of squirrel in the air.

It's easy to think we have our little kielbasa all figured out, but it seems there's still a world of wonder behind those bright brown eyes. For a young dog, so innocent and happy, life is still a mystery that unfolds each day in ways yet unimaginable. What next will I find in my backyard? What tasty treats do I have yet to taste? Whose laps will I sleep in today? I don't know what Baxter would actually talk about if given the opportunity, but I am certain he would end each day with a contented sigh, and thank the world for having given him such a wonderful day.

7 comments:

mamamouseiam said...

Amen!

Schroeder and I are loving this series, and are anxiously waiting to hear what Thursday's child will be...

inc123 said...

My doxies say Rwrof-Rwrof Rou to say I want to play.

Taffy said...

What a great post! My momma asks me what is going on in my head alot too. She always she could get a glimpse of the way my mind works. That is such a handsome photo, Baxter.
Snuggles,
Twix

Lorenza said...

Hi, Baxter!
My mom has the same question but then she thinks she'd be scared if I could talk!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Lorenza said...

Hi, Baxter!
I read your comment.
Yes. My family is mexican and I was born here.
English is not our language. Thats why we make a lot of mistakes with the grammar in my posts but we try to do it well.
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

kalyxcorn said...

aww thanks! hey do you guys ever read my followup comments here?

Nibbles Treats said...

This is spot-on. Oscar is one of the most expressive dogs ever and his arsenal of sounds if never ending. You two could be twins.

Lots of treats,
Tinkerbell, Oscar and Tucker