Sunday, September 6, 2009

wieners wieners everywhere...

wieners wieners everywhere,
yet play with a wiener i do not care.


- baxter, 2.75 years old, on taking the role of big boy at the dog park

Maybe it was the puppies that triggered the change. Three squeezably cute wiggly wonders graced us with their presence at the park yesterday, tiny little apple headed doxie pups with tiny pointy nails on tiny paws, with tiny tummies and tiny tails no longer than my index finger. Maybe the puppies' smell made Baxter realize he had a new job to fulfill at the park. Give up the usual job of giant goofball in favor of dignified doggie. Become a role model of sorts for these impressionable youths.

Whatever the reason, there was Baxter, sniffing an occasional rear but mostly ambling about like a dignified duke at the royal ball. While doxies all around him participated in general yip yap mayhem, our freshly matured Baxter stood calm and collected. Close at hand, yet content to watch over everything.

The only thing, in fact, that managed to distract Baxter from his newly inspired dogpark demeanor wasn't more than a half inch long. A tiny, buzzy bee making its way across this war zone of mulch. Baxter hovered above the bee with intense interest, going back to it several times after being shooed away, until finally I moved the bee to mutually safer grounds. Disappointed, Baxter went back to the business of being Mr. Playin's for Puppies, and he hung out with his humans til we left the park.

Part of me hopes these changes won't stick, that Baxter'll keep his inner puppy burning bright for years to come. Most of me, when I think about it hard enough. Sure growing up is great, but there's plenty of time for that later.

Pardon us, I think a squeaky toy is calling out to Baxter and me... :)

2 comments:

Lorenza said...

Hi, Baxter!
Maybe next time you see them you will feel more comfy around them!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Taffy said...

My mom is the same way...she is always saying things about me not playing like I did when I was a puppy and it is hard knowing I am getting older. Well, duh! If I didn't get older I would be dead! In case you didn't know, I think my mom is crazy!
Snuggles,
Twix