Saturday, November 14, 2009

sparkle and shine


With all the rain we've had this week, good natural lighting has been a scarce commodity. A bit of a shame, since the leaves are in full chromatic glory and a bit of sunlight would make for an absolute high def backdrop for our kielbasa's second autumn. But the overcast weather has provided an opportunity, at least, to use my camera's much avoided flash feature.

I tend to avoid using the flash as much as possible when taking pictures, mostly because I think it tends to wash out the things I find interesting like texture, color, and shadow. But I now realize using the flash with Baxter helps bring out features I don't quite get to think about in other circumstances, like his e-red slightly liver nose & brown eye rims, and in particular, the glossy shine of his youthful coat. Something to fondly look back upon when he's old and gray like the boys, but for now, something I would take for granted were not for reminders like this.

I don't think Baxter is quite sold on our indoor lightning machine, based on his look in this picture. But I'm sure he'll take what he can get if it means mom can be done with taking pictures that much faster. Enough with the picture taking, he says. The electric blankie is nice and warm so let's get on with the business of cuddling, okay?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It shows how healthy he is. I hope that Baxter can get out and play soon.

kalyxcorn said...

walkies today!! will post some pics tomorrow. the even better news is we sorta tested his neck by luring him to turn with food and he did so without reservation. in a few days we'll probably muster up the courage to do a more formal test. hope picasso and tulip are having fun this weekend!!

Lorenza said...

Hi, Baxter!
Your fur sure is shiny!
My mom has to use the flash all the time. She goes to work when is still dark and she comes back when is almost dark again!
Glad to know you are much better!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

angie said...

baxter's coat is so lovely!! i remember when riley's coat was that nice. now he's not only old and grey, but BALD!

kalyxcorn said...

oh yeah, those days are coming for this boy, that's for sure.