Friday, December 11, 2009

goodwill hunting

Our little sun loving kielbasa was in hog heaven yesterday as he rode about in the easy bake oven that is my car on sunny cold winter days. Sitting high in his backseat snoozer, Baxter has perfected the art of car riding, barking at strangers who wave at him when we are at a stoplight, taking occasional drinks of water from a plastic cup mounted in his wally world cupholder, and alternating between lying under and lying on top of his bright red down throw.

Yesterday's errands took us to the parking lot of a nearby mall, so I could meet up with a customer who wanted to buy another purse. After our encounter, it only seemed fair that if I had already de-hagged and gotten dressed for the civilized world, that Baxter and I would go the long way home and visit some fabric stores and goodwills in search of creative candy to add to my ever growing stash of inspiration.

When Baxter accompanies me on my journeys, I try to park in sunny spots where I know I can still see little chumley, and from the Goodwill store window I could tell that Baxter was fine, gently baking and looking much like a Pillsbury crescent roll being browned and plumped by the oven heat.

I checked out with a fine haul of goods a grand selection of vintage and not so vintage silk and poly neckties in super swell shades of red, green, blue and cream, with a heavily textured red cotton knit sweater thrown into the mix. Totally inspiring eye candy for me that I immediately dumped onto the floor to photograph when we came home. But a total disappointment for little Poppin Fresh, who kindly intruded on my efforts as if to tell me that he would have preferred something more edible. Next time, mom, let's buy rawhide, ok?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you do with all these ties?

Pekingese Puppy said...

Nice pictures! They look artistic.

Cole said...

Great pictures!! I'm curious what you're going to do with those ties too.

Anonymous said...

Baxter lives the life. I'm still figuring out what to give my two little ones for Christmas. What is Baxter getting?

kalyxcorn said...

Oh my, ties are great for everything! Funny I don't have many pictures though. There's usually a scrap or two in the harness I make. You can see some examples of those under the harness category on the right. But they also add a deluxe dimension some of the purses I also make. You can see some of those I think under Get crafty. I also made a swell blanket out of pieces of cashmere and merino wool sweaters and I used the neckties to cover the seams, quilting them a bit for added texture and interest. I had intended to post a picture of that sometime but the blanket sold last weekend.

Baxter has one green plaid printed cylindrical tin that we reuse every year for his christmas present. I like to fill it up with stuff like tiny rawhide knots and a toy or two. He can choose one while we're opening presents cuz no doggie needs to be chompin on that much rawhide unsupervised, though. I'm not sure though if he might get some other things. I've been kinda giving him a few things way ahead of the actual day, like his giant kong toy and Christmas bunny, so it doesn't always pay for me to get him things too early. I did make him a christmassy harness but I don't think he considers those gifts, if you know what I mean. Last year I protoyped a unibody jammy thing that I thought would be cute for him to wear on Christmas day but he didn't care for the way it felt on his hind legs. Sometimes Baxter is all dog and likes to be footloose and fancy free despite the fact that it means he'll be cold.

Kep and Padua had their own larger sort of lunch box tins that we used to fill up with food and treats. Their gift would be free n clear gorging at their respective tins, at first for about 30-45 seconds when they were young gobblers, then we had to increase the tin gorging time to like 3 to 5 minutes by the time they were geriatric little shavers that took their time gumming their food.

So what is everyone else getting their pup? I am sure Baxter would love the input!

Rowdy and Bette said...

My grandma (RIP) once made a quilt completely out of ties that she had gotten at garage sales. It was a beautiful thing. I remember being amazed with it when I was a kid. She sold it for like $40 or something back in the day. Wish I would've had the $40 when I was in the 4th grade so I could have bought it.

Alli and Frankie said...

I know I always say this when I leave comments but I just love Baxter! Your writing really illustrates his personality - and of course, the pictures are great!

Frankie Mae got a new pizzle (so gross, but she loves them) for Christmas and a squeaky toy that should be de-squeaked by the time we are done with breakfast Christmas morning. I'm also searching for a new, plush blankie for her. She gets so cold and hates to wear anything. :)

holykowkirby said...

Don't forget to get Baxter an elevated food dish. It's what every doxie wants!

kalyxcorn said...

Oh Joey & Maggie! The necktie quilt sounds cool. I wish you had $40 back then,too. Someday somebody is going to want a necktie harness and I want to be the one making it!

Lucky Frankie! Do you mean like a wearable thing or a rectangle that you can wrap her with? I was thinking I really should make a blankie and a new snoozer liner from the fleece and flannel I bought earlier this year just for that purpose. Joann has some nice fleece prints this year in case you have the gumption. When you pick a flannel and a binding, just keep in mind that if you use corduroy, it may get linty from the flannel so pick colors where it won't be as noticeable (light with light, dark with dark, etc)

OOh, I like your idea HolyKowKirby though I gotta say meals don't last very long with the little shaver. We train with half his kibble and the other half gets vacuumed in like 20 seconds. Maybe I should work on that...!

Lorenza said...

Hi, Baxter!
Sure you enjoyed going with your Mom on that car ride!
Those ties sure have beautiful colors! I know your Mom is going to do something special with them!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

PS These days have been cold here so I wear a t-shirt (for babies!) all day and when I go out for my walkies my mom puts me a coat over the t-shirt!

angie said...

de-hagged, lol!