Saturday, December 26, 2009

omnipresents

Christmas in our house this year was a tiny affair, a break from tradition with just the three of us quietly celebrating the day in our pajamas, opening presents and then watching movies while the scent of pot roast slowly braising to tender goodness wafted throughout the house. It's not exactly a scene from a Norman Rockwell painting, but I think a scene in many ways that we find just as comforting.

Without the distractions of many people opening their presents as in Christmases past, Little Kielbasa finally made the connection between all that stuff under the tree and what it might mean for him. Food. Toys. And lots of it. In a year where we had somewhat intentionally and unintentionally not purchased a lot for ourselves or for others, Baxter still managed to hit the jackpot, thanks to a package mailed from his great aunt and uncle that contained a stocking bursting with toys and treats. Green plaid tin from mom and dad filled with a few rawhide knots and a stuffed squeaky Comet reindeer? Meh, Baxter's eyes said. I'll get back to that later. What's that I smell in stocking with the paw prints all over it??

And so we opened all Baxter's gifts first, letting him joyfully sniff at all his new goodies before putting the edible ones up high so we could move on to opening our presents. Disappointment for our little boy, that I temporarily staved off by giving him a rawhide knot from his under appreciated tartan tin.



I probably should have figured out earlier that opening Baxter's presents first wouldn't be a great idea. Now clued into the concept of my opening packages and finding out that these things were for him, my little package inspector finished his rawhide quickly and came back, expecting to sniff every present I subsequently opened, just to keep tabs, it seems, on what else should come his way. No matter where I turned on the floor to find an open space to open my presents, there stood my little boy ready to give things a sniff, to claim what was rightfully his by leaving schnoz markes all over it. An uncanny ability, really, to be so omnipresent in the presence of presents. Another doxie superpower mastered by Baxter at the ripe old age of three.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baxter, I see you really were a good boy this year! Picasso and Tulip would be jealous of such a spread.

firstyouleap said...

You really capture the scene! (is that a fierce bunny I see in the picture?) We had a restful Christmas as well. Even this morning, Jeeves went for his new Tuff toy before breakfast. Merry Christmas and Happy Boxing day...Melinda

Bludog said...

A trip to the dollar store last week guaranteed that I had enough toys to hand out all day long. As one or the other squeaking item was demolished, I would hand out another set.

Molly has no interest, but the shepherds gleefully grabbed and then slyly exchanged everything they could lay their teeth on. Plush squeaky - got it! Demolished. Tennis ball chewy - got it! Demolished. Hard rubber & ropey - got it! Mostly demolished.

Meanwhile, Molly watched the cooking very closely, begged for turkey, and snoozed in her new red neckerchief. She does not deign to participate in the toy wars.

An aside, I tried to put her red holiday sweater - the one with the sparkely snowflakes - on her, but the neck is always around her waist within 30 seconds. Sigh.

Today is a baking day before we go visit the Boston Terrier horde (Boston Terror, more likely) on the farm tomorrow.

Lorenza said...

Hi, Baxter!
Sure you had a nice and quiet Christmas.
Here in my house, we were 6 humans and 3 doggies. Pretty quiet too... just as a I like it!
My mom gave me presents but I enjoyed more helping to unwrap the presents my family got!
Have a great saturday!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Alicia said...

Ho Ho Ho...That is quite a haul you have there Baxter! We also love your green vest and tie ensemble. So Christmas chic!

Woofs,
Oskar

kalyxcorn said...

fierce bunny didn't quite look like that when I got him from wally world but by the time Christmas came around Baxter had already had a romp or two with him thanks to his superpowers of up-vision. i should probably check out the dollar store cuz i couldn't believe how pricey toys are at petsmart and even wally world, really, considering how long the toys last.

I see Molly has the gift o wisdom - wiggle out of the stuff she doesn't wanna wear and don't waste time on stuff you can't eat! I found a site that had more of the retro corduroy, by the way! so excited for it to come in the mail.

hugs to everyone!! :)
b

chloejessica said...

Looks like a great Christmas Baxter! Yay for new treats! :)