Saturday, January 23, 2010

nyc diary

Another double header day, thanks to the fact that I had taken enough pictures that my camera's file numbering system rolled back over to zero and the last series of Baxter pictures I took before downloading appeared at both at the beginning and ending of the folder. Yeah, probably TMI, but at least this means the little kielbasa does make an actual appearance in today's post, and what's not to love about that?

So here it is, my trip, in a nutshell. And believe me, I get it if you don't read on. Too many words, not enough pictures of the little kielbasa. But hey, it's fun for me and Baxter's post comes after this anyway so fly if you need to, or read on.

Day 1: Drive to Robin's, continue driving with her and her daughter, scoring fine buffet sushi dinner and spending the night at a motel in Jersey.

Day 2: Drive into Brooklyn, passing by the empty parking lot where the flea market would have been if it was open this time of year (doh!). Forge ahead into the Manhattan flea markets where there is as always, cool stuff to be had, including a vintage coat pattern that later had us scouring the garment district for wool and lining to turn the pattern into reality.



Day 2(cont'd): After check-in, mosey into Chinatown via the Union Square subway, making sure to drool as we pass the inspiring windows at ABC Carpet and Home. Take a moment to acknowledge Baxter withdrawal by loving the French Bulldog whose owner parked him outside the cafe where we consumed a fine lunch and cupcake.



Day 2 (cont'd): Haggle in the evening rain with the numerous Chinatown vendors who were all selling basically the same thing - fake cashmere scarves, ear muffs, t-shirts, belts & buckles, sweatshirts. Find a cool knitted headwrap, which certainly deserves to be made in finer materials than acrylic. Love the fact that there's a Baxter Street. Dinner at some noodle shop in Chinatown.

Day 3: Wake up ready for breakfast at Le Pain Quotidien. A sort of chain but consistently simple and good. Dry packed capers. Now that's what I'm talking about. Not the yucky wet stuff I've had in the past. Who knew capers like that could really transform plain ol egg salad. A jar of that, plus some jars of chocolate spread in dark and white, and the Le Pain cookbook, please.

A double doxie sighting on the way back to the room where I leave my purchases and quickly ditch my jacket liner for the day. I never really needed my hat on this trip after all, though all the serged stuff came in handy. Then a walk up to the wholesale accessories and garment district to focus for hours on crafty business purchases, stopping by a few favorite thrift stores along the way. Score much needed rhinestone pins and other embellishment, some pearls, trim, dyeables, shirting, and green woolen coating. The search is on for suitable and - I never thought I would be saying this - cool poly print to use as lining to prototype the vintage pattern jacket.



Day 3 (cont'd): Drop off fabrics at the garage. Grab a fine maple and bacon biscuity cookie and others at a bake shop on the walk to East Village. Abort plans to eat dinner at Momofuku, as the place was packed. Eat instead at a fine Japanese place whose name I forget across the street. Mmmmmm. Unaju, I will always love you and this time you were even in a box set with tempura and shumai keeping you company nearby. Lament that more Japanese restaurants need to offer unaju. Grab a late night showing of Leap Year. Debate to myself whether or not it is fair to consider Amy Adams a low budget version of Nicole Kidman, but give the movie an ok thumbs up for easy watching.

Day 4: A morning stretch to ease my aching muscles. Drop into Dylan's candy bar for Robin's daughter's benefit, before engaging in the touristy act of sharing a frozen hot chocolate (Oprah, businesses across America will cry when you are no longer able to plug their stuff). Savor the artery clogging BLT with brie I ordered. Reflect on how savvy marketing makes all the difference in the world. A frozen hot chocolate frappucccino thingy for nine bucks? The same candy you can get at the drugstore, marked up tons? And people lined up to get in? Pure genius.

Spend more hours in search of beads, metal findings, and fabrics. Carolina Herrera wool. I'm not sure I believe that it's wool she actually used in anything, but the wool is nice and will make for a fine coat whenever I get around to making one. Robin is making the green vintage pattern one, for me, reportedly soon, but we all get busy so we'll see.

Eat beef chow fun for dinner at our favorite Chinese restaurant near the garment district, lug big blue bags of fabric around Daffy's, til finally we head for home and catch a subway back to our room for the night. Gossip. Pack. Mix boohoos with the excitement of seeing family again.

Day 5: Goodbye city life, hello green acres of Pennsylvania and the Amish. One last buying excursion for more trim and a bit of fabric before heading back to Robin's house.



Day 6: So good to be home, but who's gonna help me unpack? Oh yeah, the little happy hound.

4 comments:

Lorenza said...

Sure you and your friends had a pawesome time!
I know you enjoyed a lot all that shopping!
Yes, Baxter sure helped you to unpack!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Alicia said...

NYC has always been an adventure to visit. My old stompin' grounds. Did you get to the Meatpacking District? Glad that you scored some wonderful finds, but I'll bet you left more behind than you wanted to.

kalyxcorn said...

We totally need to investigate the Meatpacking district in the future. I hear it's a foodie destination but how is the shopping? Mostly we do the Garment District and whatever is in between our hotel and there. Ha - I did seem to leave behind a lot of leaves from the money tree, but I'll get a reminder of that in a few weeks.

Taffy said...

Looks like you had a wonderful trip, Kaly. I can't wait to see some of your new finds and the fabulous things you will make from them. I know Bax is happy to have you home. Nothing like a doxie homecoming to make you feel loved!
Snuggles,
Twix and Teresa