Saturday, February 6, 2010

rainy friday










cold wet rain again.
maybe it's a last goodbye
from my mom's uncle ed.

- baxter, 3.1 years old






Yesterday's gray weather reflected the news I received by email. My dad's brother passed. My uncle, whom I barely knew, for which I have known for a few months now that this day would come.

I wish I could say I was a saint, that I did and said all the right things to support those who felt the impact of my uncle's illness more deeply than I, but it is times such as this that remind me of how imperfect I am. Times such as this, that remind me how life, even up til the very end, is still a work in progress.

As I have grown older, I realize there is more to life than just the sunny happy highs. The gentle rains of sorrow and loss play an equal role in enriching the life we live.

And so, this post, today, for Uncle Ed.

9 comments:

Alicia said...

Our condolences to you and your family. Godspeed to Uncle Ed. We all react differently to this type of news, and perhaps it has to do with how we believe the other side of this life is experienced and our relationship with the departed.
We are all imperfect and have just so much time to treat each other well.

That said, just up the street from where we live, one young man took the life of another, yesterday during school. In an instant, everything changed for an entire community.
It doesn't matter how deeply the impact is felt, but providing a supporting role is where we can be our very best. There is no gain without loss, and may our journey through this life bring us to a better place by how we handle both.

Alli and Frankie said...

Rest in Peace, Uncle Ed.

Your host said...

Baxter's poem and your post are sweet tributes to your uncle. We can't all be saints, but we can be our best and take good care of each other and, as you said, live all of life, the good with the not-so-good. Peaceful rest to your uncle and peace to you and your family in your sorrow.

Mom & the girls

Lorenza said...

I am sorry to know about your Uncle Ed.
Beautiful tribute to him
Take care
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Sandra said...

I'm sorry for the sad news, but it was a touching way to remember someone special.

Taffy said...

We are sorry to hear about your Uncle. I don't know which is harder, knowing death is coming or having it happen suddenly and unexpectedly. Either way it hurts and makes us take a look at ourselves at it re-shapes our life.
Hugs to you!

firstyouleap said...

Thank you for sharing your sad news and thoughtful words on Uncle Ed's passing. Jeeves and I send good energy to all of Uncle Ed's extended family. m

kalyxcorn said...

thanks, everyone. life goes on it but it always seem right to give pause at times like this. :)

Bludog said...

Perhaps it will make you feel better to know that this post has inspired me to send some cards for Valentine's day to some people who I should have stayed in better touch with... I'm not perfect either ;-)