Monday, March 29, 2010

swag wagon

A giant basket now sits on our kitchen island, a big question mark that arrived via Fedex ground last Friday. It's not that I don't know who it's from, or how it is that this basket came into our lives, but a matter of what I should do with it. A basket full of goodies, that I know Baxter would heartily enjoy, but whose fate for me remains uncertain. But let me explain.

A couple of weeks ago, somebody left a comment, one I felt to be a polite yet shameless promo for milkbones, albeit a campaign they were having in partnership with some socially worthy canine program of some sort. I failed to see the charity, only the spammishness of their post. My nimble fingers reciprocated by quickly deleting the comment, and typing a polite yet displeased message back to the folks at Milkbone. Take that, person who didn't even feign interest in the blog and wouldn't share your profile with anyone. Don't mess with a passive aggressive cantankerous spam-sensitive person who has enough time on her hands to actually write back, no matter how worthy your program might be.

Having released all my steam, I figured my message would be the end of it. Then, as if karma already knew this day would come, I opened a package from precious Annie that had arrived earlier, and amongst other things found in it a sweet gift of milkbones for Baxter, which tiny chumley heartily and gratefully consumed after posing for thank you pictures.

So as luck would have it, my punishment to Milkbone for posting a tiny, barely there piece of comment spam that I quickly deleted? Better exposure, ironically, in the form of a fine picture of Baxter holding one of Annie's milkbones on his nose the following day.

A week or so later, I opened my email to find a message from the PR firm responsible for the spam. They were sorry and it would never happen again and could we send you a milkbone basket to help make amends and hey can we facebook and twitter around that picture of Baxter with the milkbone? Boy I was starting to feel like I overreacted. Sure, I finally told them, thinking I might could expand blog readership a bit with the twittering, and after shamelessly letting them know that my talented boy and I were essentially available for milkbone parties and bar mitzvahs.

Yikes, I realized after hitting the send button. Did I just sell out to da man? Have I become a canine pageant mom? And does Baxter really need this corporate bounty when there are so many other pups who need it more?

By the time the package arrived, my little boyfriend had grown quite accustomed to assuming all packages were his, and he immediately went to sniffing about, wooty woot wooting around this most bodacious find. Politeness, which had always been a hallmark of Baxter's ways in the past, seemed to take a back seat when faced with what he smelled to be the bounty before him. Without a doubt, Baxter would enjoy each and every thing in that basket, and there's a lot of stuff to enjoy. At least three big boxes of milkbones, at least three stuffy squeaky toys and who knows what other bounty might be in there. All sent here because I got cranky. Although I am very grateful, I'm not sure this should be the reason why Baxter or I should be receiving gifts. Especially when our motto is about celebrating and sharing the bounty of our lives.

So I'm putting out the question to you, in the form of a poll that'll close in a week's time. Should Baxter get to enjoy some or all of it, donate some or all of it, and/or share all or some of it with you? Please select a ticky over on the poll and let me know what you think. The fate of tummies near and far are in your hands. :)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baxter is the one who is clever enough to balance milkbones on his nose, he considers this his pay! The basket is AWESOME, what are you going to put in that?

Anonymous said...

Uh, when Baxter is rich and famous, you are still gonna be making harnesses, right?

Erin said...

WOWSER!! Anyone want to come spam me so I can complain too?? :)))

carolyne b said...

Wow Baxters mom hit the mother load!!! Just think of this as Baxters reward for being so cute and doing some amazing tricks.

Anonymous said...

oh no baxter, wait until they see you dance! Kate & Allie

Elizabeth said...

Not all spam is bad. I bet Baxter would love Spam in a can. Lulu says she would be glad to help you distribute the product...right to her belly!

Stacey said...

I don't like the idea of them offering a basket, then in the same breath asking for use of your image in their campaign materials. I do like the fact that they asked first before nabbing the photo and using it wherever they please. But I gotta say, in some respects, it feels to me like the big basket o' toys n' stuff is as much payment for your photo as it is apology. If so, they got off really cheap, and Bax did all the heavy lifting.

Bludog said...

That picture of Baxter with the Milkbone is really awesome and deserves to have worldwide recognition! I can't blame the company for wanting to use it.

What an amazing story. Best of luck with dilemma... I think it's part of celebrating life's bounty that more is then rewarded to you ;-)

kalyxcorn said...

hee - I actually do like the basket. If and when it gets empty, I think it will hold fabric (surprise!)

I'm not sure we're cut to be rich n famous, but still make harnesses? oh yeah, most definitely! But if we ever get rich n famous maybe Ican jet around and do fittings in person!!

Hi Erin - hee,talk to Joey n Maggie before you make your spam wish cuz apparently real spam contains, uh...well, u know, like, links to stuff your doxie shouldn't be looking at...

Hi carolyne b & Kate n Allie! Yeah I probably should think up some more fun tricks! We both are getting a little jaded about our routines! :)

Ooh, Lulu, Baxter has never tasted canned spam but I am sure he would be more than willing to do so!!!

Hi Stacey - before I said yes I did confirm if I would retain rights, and the answer was yes. I could have said no and the basket would have come anyway. But mostly my yes to the pic thing was a weak pageant mom moment. Like, oo, maybe more followers would be the result. But, like, what's that even about? I don't even do adsense. I must care to be loved by future friends subconsciously more than my conscious mind will admit!

Hi Bludog! How's molly girl doin??

Hey now, hope everybody voted o'er on the sidebar! I can't keep track of yays n nays here very well:)

Alli and Frankie said...

I loooove the basket! Who cares what is in it? :)

Canine pageant mom - haahahaha. That had me chuckling - you'll be on one of those "toddlers in tiaras" type of shows!!!!!

Baxter deserves it all! :)

Sandra said...

(starring intently at basket while drool collects in large puddle at our paws)

Oh hi Baxter! Almost didn't see you there behind that wonderful basket of treats.

(more drooling as extend paws to touch basket on the screen)

Wait, what was the question?

Alven, Flash and Dottie

Lorenza said...

Wow! Big basket full of yummy Milkbones and toys! Keep them... and enjoy them!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

M.A said...

I think you make a great pageant dog mom!!! I really enjoy reading your posts about your little chumley! :-)

Hannalei said...

We use Milkbones as treats at the Shelter I volunteer for. Such goodness is gobbled up quickly by the pups. A gift is a gift and I can't "say" what to do with it myself. I voted but I will keep my vote silent here. I think it's wonderful that someone out there saw your most awesome blog, spammed ya and then made up for it with nibblies tho. My pups would freak. Congrats to Baxter for being such an awesome Dach and to you for being such a wonderful Dash Mom. <3

angie said...

WOW!! i love baxter's swag wag!