Wednesday, April 7, 2010

down the rabbit hole

Spying gray hairs on Baxter's chinny chin chin made me realize there are still things we need to do while he is in his springy youth. Earthdogging, for one, to tingle the little kielbasa's senses and boot up his badger hound instincts.

Our first real trial won't happen til next weekend, but it seemed only fair that tiny chumley get a little practice beforehand. And so using roving can turned on its side and firmly anchored with weights on either side, with rawhide chucked deep down inside, I sat and waited to see what my little boy would do.

First, a look of incredulity, followed by copious amounts of barking. "r u kiddin me? throwin perfectly good rawhide in there? who's gonna get that?" he noisily protested to my deaf and deafened ears.

A few minutes passed, both of us locked in a battle of wills. "u get it", he barked. "No you get it," I replied. "no u get it", he woofed. "No you", I said."u"."you". Our battle soon boiled down to a shorthand that involved quick glances, first at the hole, and then to the other.

We were down to a blink off by the time temptation finally cracked the little kielbasa. "Oh okay, I'll go and check this out", he sighed, and timidly made his way ever so slowly into the can. "But I'm not gonna get in there all the way. So nyah." And Baxter managed to obtain his prize with the tippy tip toes of his hind legs still touching the floor outside the hole.

Something tells me earthdogging is gonna be something for this dainty little wiener dog.


9 comments:

Jiorji said...

hahah i love this post. Look at his tail wagging there and look at him stretching as far as he can so that he doens't go all the way through

i love Baxter. ANd i think when little furry friends argue back with us, it's the cutest! my cat argues. It's funny. Funnier when she gets annoyed with me for not budging >:D

Anonymous said...

Love it! I've wanted to try Earthdog with my Dachshund, but I haven't been able to find somewhere to do it! If you have any suggestions....do tell! It sounds like so much fun.

Anonymous said...

The look he is shooting you is hysterical! "How could you, Mom?"

Erin said...

Bwahahahahaha!!!!

kalyxcorn said...

hee - there are so many times I can just see the smoke coming out of Baxter's ears and the scribble marks in the thought bubble over Baxter's head!

hi trickponies - a lot of times a terrier association will sponsor one, so you might check around the local groups like that. I believe a lot of events are also registered on the AKC website, which is how I think I found mine, even though it was terrier based.

hi erin!! :)

Hannalei said...

I love it!!! I have to find something to give this a go with my two. I have a feeling Molly would be game and BeBe would be like "I'll just watch Momma"

Can't wait to see more of him preparing for Earthdogging. :)

Lorenza said...

Hi, Baxter!
That looks fun! But... I am sure I would not be able to do it!
I love your pictures!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

angie said...

cute! i only recently learned of earthdog. i don't know if riley's too old and set in his ways at 10...

3 doxies said...

Awesome. I've been trying to get Puddles involved in earthdog trials. So far, we haven't found around here or within 4 hra away. We're still trying though.