Monday, May 17, 2010

b. tzu's art of blankie-gami

There are all sorts of blankie configurations that the little kielbasa has perfected since he's come into our home. At first, tiny chumley really didn't know what to do with a blankie when he encountered it on his bed, other than sleep on top of it. Those were the days when his beds stayed neat and tidy, and young Baxter quickly settled into dream suckling slumber.

Perhaps it's when Baxter began to sleep with more regularity in our bed did he develop the habit of pulling his blankies down on his own bed, as if he were pulling the covers back the way he sees us doing it every night. There is blankie and there is bed, and I must be between it, he must have surmised from our nightly rituals. Now, minutes can go by while chumley scratches at his own beds, nudging his blankies every which way until he finds the perfect lumpy configuration. Most of his beds in our house are now a disheveled mess unless I undo his work, remake his bed, so that he can unmake them again.

Add a second blankie into the mix and a world of possibilities opens up for this little wiener dog's blankie-gami pursuits. In the winter, especially on when sleeping on the sofa, little kielbasa often stays completely buried under his blankies, with nary an air hole to let precious heat escape. Now, in the early summer, Baxter's underground blankie oasis reinvents itself as a blankie cave, with an opening just big enough to poke out stubby little feet, a wet nose, and even a little bit of tummy, to help keep things temperature controlled.

Yes, there are days when Baxter is all about the tummy tan, but there are also days like these when it's all about the blankie cave. My name is Baxter, and I am almost three and a half years old.

18 comments:

DoMoFi said...

Kewl paws/nose you have there ^^;

A MilShelb Mom said...

Milly and Shelby LOVE to cover up, too. Such cute pictures!! :)

Kerri said...

B., I'm a person-friend and I sleep pretty much the same way, with just my nose sticking out from the covers. ;.)

ok said...

Dex is quickly becoming a master of this. Now that it is warmer, he makes little forts instead of completely burrowing, it is so cute.

Annie's Mama said...

Weekendsa are my and Annie's time, she never wanders from my side. It's rained all weekend, I've deep cleaned my bedroom, and Annie was no where to be found. I knew she was in the house, and finally found her when I noticed my blankets ever so slightly moving up down in the middle of the bed. It was quickly decided- nap time for the both of us!

kalyxcorn said...

ah yes, the only thing better than finding a doxie under the covers is being right there with him or her! :)
today it is raining. why can't the world recognize what doxies already know, that on days like this, everything needs to stop so we can sleep with our pups?

Bludog said...

Those could be pictures of Molly ... I know they're not, only because she has different blankies.

Our Doberman Sadie had a huge custom made bed with bolster back and sides and a big cushion in the middle. During her final illness, I added some full-size bed pillows to prop her up comfortably. After Sadie left us, Molly commandeered the bed. Add some blankies and - voila - the ultimate wiener nest! Now we literally have to unpile the pillow and blankets to find her in the mornings. The bed is so huge, and there is so much stuff in there, she could be anywhere! And that's how Molly likes it...

Jenn & Annabelle said...

Those pictures could easily be Annabelle as well--she loves to burrow! We have a series of fleece throws folded and sitting on the back of our couch, and we can always tell when she tires of playing--she'll jump on the couch, pull a blanket or two down, and start digging away. She'll even use her teeth to pull the blanket over herself, like she's tucking herself in! She HAS to have a "blankie" when she sleeps, whether it's in her cage or on the couch.

We've named her three phases of burrowing. First is Mother Teresa, where her whole face sticks out but her ears are covered, and it almost looks like she's wearing a nun's habit. Second is Emperor Palpatine, where only her nose sticks out--so named for the "Star Wars" character whose face is almost entirely hidden by his hooded robe. Last is Full Wonton, where she's all wrapped up like a little dumpling and you can only tell she's under there by watching the blankets move as she breathes! :)

3 doxies said...

I am a burrower as well...any time of da year. But Albert and Whitney don't. I always wondered if it was cuz of da long hair.
Puddles

Alli and Frankie said...

Okay, Baxter. That's it. There is no more room on my Cute-O-Meter. You have gone off the scales! :)

Frankie makes a blankie cave, too. Sometimes she gets so frustrated trying to get it just so that she'll whine at me. That's my cue to refold the blanket so she can have another go at messing it up. :)

Carolyn said...

I think Puddles might be on to something. Harley, my smooth doxie loves to be under the covers but my wire and long haired girls do not like being covered at all....too warm!

kalyxcorn said...

hee - hey let's everyone get in the blankie cave together and have a slumber party!! :)

hugs, b.

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

"Nestbuilding" is such an imPAWtent skill. Glad that you are perfecting yours.

Kerri said...

And it is a perfect day for a slumber party!
Both of my short-hairs were cavers, although Minnie was diagnosed with Cushing's a couple of years before she went to Rainbow Bridge. It seemed to make her feel hotter, so she stopped sleeping under blankets and didn't really like to be *on* warm blankets, either -- during the winter, I had to put a plain sheet on the bed for her, rather than the typical fleece or velux blanket.

sio said...

Ike, Otto, and our rescue, Linus (the chunky-boy) would love to have a slumber party but I think Linus would occupy most of the blankie-cave!

Lorenza said...

Hi, Baxter!
I know how important is to find the perfect blankie configuration!
I can see you are a master on that!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Taffy said...

OMD! All these doxies under blankies.....my mom is gonna burst! Of course, I love to be under the blankets too. Sometimes, if the blanket is not where I can easily grab it I will look at mom or dad and whine and then look at the blanket. My favorite place to dig and push the covers is on mom and dad's bed ;o)
Momma likes to tell a story about Max (she had before me). He liked to lay on the back of the couch and if he got cold he would just get under the afghan that was there without messing it up. It was funny to see the perfectly laid afghan with a big lump right in the middle.
Snuggles,
Twix

Sandra said...

Baxter, I totally understand your blanket obsession. I also love my blankies and consider myself somewhat of a connoisseur. Where would a doxie be without a blanket to burrow in? Love the picutres!

Flash