Thursday, March 29, 2012

pokeyed puppy

Staring at the tiny white hairs that comprise tiny chumley's ever expanding milk moustache, I can't help but feel our time left together here on Earth with Baxter is already short enough.  If we are lucky, if things are as I hope them to be,  we will celebrate at least another ten Christmases together, another ten birthdays, another ten but hopefully more years of yippee skippee squirrel chasing, hole digging, poopie snake making eventually just snooze all day happy go lucky joy.   Ten years that in my mind have never felt so short.  So I hate it when things happen now that detract from our ability to enjoy one another's company.  But maybe it is because we have over enjoyed each other's company already that we find ourselves at this point, where for the second time in his life, Baxter's neck pain has flared up.

Although Baxter's symptoms are much less significant than his friends who have suffered from IVDD bouts recently, I have spent more than a few sleepless nights worrying and researching about what to do, and if or when to do it.  Talking with vets and friends and crawling through dodgerslist and the rest of the internet, hoping that there would be an instant cure for the intermittent yips-if-he-moves-the-wrong-way cervical pain that ails my little tiny boyfriend. Wishing that everything didn't have its risks.  Wishing that he could be made of the bouncy rubber that he thinks he's made of, rather than the fragile glass that I've been treating him as lately.

But I've come to realize and mostly accept that at this stage in the game, and with the help of anti inflammatories, pain meds and cage rest, it is really the passage of time that will hopefully help my little kielbasa.  The very time that I already feel I no longer have in abundance.  But, no matter where this might take us, I know I will take what I can get from my time with Baxter here on this planet. Whether we spend it together frolicking in the sun, or lying quietly side by side, separated by the walls of an ex-pen, this time, our time no matter how it is spent, will always be mine to treasure.

Three weeks in the pokey, my little friend.  And I will be with you all the way. :)


24 comments:

firstyouleap said...

I am so sorry to hear Baxter's neck is misbehaving again! I do believe in crate rest but it is hard to really do, must be really hard to rest the cervical disks.
I'm glad that you guys work at home a lot, that should help him feel less blue when he gets a bit better but can't run around.
I don't know if I *should* have but as Jeeves got better, I would put him in his soft airline crate and hold him in my lap and stroke him, it's cloth and mesh with a flat bottom so he could lean into me. Shout out in email or FB if you need to consult m'dear, our hearts are with both of you!

firstyouleap said...

btw, firstyouleap is Melinda and Teagan;-)

K-Koira said...

What a sad little nose sticking out. Hopefully he gets to feeling better soon.

Bludog said...

Three weeks in the pokey! I hope dukduk is not the sheriff!

Alicia said...

Hokey smokes!! Three weeks in the pokey? It is really difficult to relax an area of the body that is used so much, like a neck, because you just don't realize the constant use it gets. Feel better soon Baxter, and don't worry about missing any excitement because it'll be there when you're ready!

Lil buddy,
Oskar

Cassie said...

Bottom lips WAY out over at our house. Feel better soon, sweet Baxter! I think all dachshund owners can empathize, I know I can. That is one of the sweetest pictures, though. He's just adorable! xoxo
Tilly and Tucker send their wishes for lots of healing rest for Mr. B and we thought that since he's in the pokey for awhile, you may want to invest in some FOOPOURI (as opposed to the ever popular POOPOURI found in many bathrooms) to keep his personal pokey smelling fresh :)

Jeanne said...

Wet slurpy kisses from Poe! She knows it's hard! Her Posey little tip for the day: don't shake you toyfriends around quite so hard. It hurts your neck more than it hurts them! Good luck and quick healing to you!

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about Baxter's sore neck! We had a scare a while back with Wishy and took her to UCDavis for a check up. She was fine but we decided then and there to not take any chances and we blocked off the stairs (up to her favorite sunny room) and put ramps on all the furniture and lowered our bed to the ground. She hasn't had any problems since. I was also thinking that maybe Baxter's collar with his cool tags is a little heavy and puts some subtle pressure on his neck. I know that even a human's ponytail can pull their neck out of whack! You are such a good Mom to take such loving care of Baxter and keep him rested and quiet. Good luck and enjoy each day and just know that he loves you very much.

Kyley and Ammo the Dachshund said...

Wishing Baxter a speedy recovery! I certainly know how worried we get when things like this happen - I too am really guilty of scouring the internet when something happens only to freak myself out even more!

Tell Baxter to keep his chin up, and I'm sure he'll be feeling better in no time. Those little dachshunds are tough cookies!

Jane said...

Baxter and Mom, So very sorry to hear about Baxter's neck giving him pain again. I know it is hard for him to have to be in his crate.
Sending get well wishes high as the sky.
Jane and Oscar

Ruby and Penny said...

Oh no. Think up some great fun things to do while you are in the slammer. That will help to pass the time.
Take care Baxter and rest easy.
Love Ruby & Penny

Anonymous said...

Baxter-
Kirby and I send the bestest get well wishes. And sending doxie kisses!

Hugs,
Miss Linda

HH and The Boys said...

Ohhhh Baxter, pal.... So sorry to hear that your neck is giving you fits. I am sending you my very best purrrrrs. Hope they help.

pawhugs, Max

Anonymous said...

Take care Baxter. We are all thinking of you.

Miss Dixie

Rowdy and Bette said...

Get Better soon BaxMan. It's going to suck in the crate, but try and understand that it will help you heal! And you can start chasing bunnies again!

Lizzy said...

Hope you know that we are all hoping for a speedy recovery. Prayers and hugs to all.

Anonymous said...

We get home from our Aloha vacation (the boys are still at their sleep-away-camp) and get such bummer news! 3 weeks in confinement is rough, but I'm sure it won't be solitary!! Surely (hee hee) Duk Duk and lil pink puppy would love to be in there with you ;) Simon had cervical disc problems at age 9, had surgery, recovered (I swear he acted like a 5 year old afterwards!). I think it's harder on us than it is on them!

Siol

docsdox said...

YIKES!!!

take a break, and get well soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh Baxter & Baxter's mom - we are weeping with sadness that you don't feel good - it's scary. We will all put our paws together and ask for you to be healed really fast.
With much much love
- Hildy & my mom

Lovable Lily said...

Oh no! Not our friend Mr. B! I'm so sorry to hear that you are having cervical problems. I pray and pray that crate rest is what you need my dear friend. I went through this in Sept. but I had to have surgery. It was unfortunate that crate rest and med's were not going to do it for me. It was a horrible time in our lives but is now well behind us.

We're always be here for you Baxter (and of course, for your Mommy too.) If you have any questions, just knock on our Blog and we'll help in any way that we can.

Hugs,
Lily Belle

glitterfly said...

We all said a woofy prayer for you last night, Baxter and Baxter's Mommy. We check your blog every night before we burrow into the big bed beside our Mommy and Daddy. Please get better soon.

Love, Cher and Daffy from Oklahoma

Jasper + Amy said...

Oh Baxter, me & mom are so very sad to hear your neck is feeling bad again. We will be sending good thoughts your way & I will be sure to mention you every night in my puppy prayers.

Healing thoughts all the way from Kentucky!!

*Jasper

kalyxcorn said...

thank u friends for all your kind words and prayers. :) baxter is patiently putting up with his nakey time in the pokey well but it is definitely a change for all of us, as will be his post-pokey life as we talk away some of the perks of his youth - he has already been missing the elevated kitty perch lifestyle but our ears are much happier for it. and now we mostly just wait.. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Baxter! We both wish you get better in 3 weeks. I know its tough but try to think happy thoughts and the time will fly!