Thursday, April 19, 2012

bedtime stories

All in all, tiny chumley has been a trooper with his cage rest,  letting himself be moved from one golden pokey to another to another to another and to finally another for the night, where he is left alone with piles and piles of blankies and george's gentle breath to keep him company while his dad and I are a few feet away in the bed that he had claimed over 50% ownership not shortly after he came into our lives.

Neither of us, I think, have gotten restful sleep since this all started.  Every night when I tuck the little kielbasa in, I see his eyes, optimistic and ever hopeful -  mom, are you sure i cannot sleep with you and dad tonight?  And every night I've had to tell him, No baby dog, not tonight.  But very soon our bedtime stories will have a new ending, and we both will be sleeping happily ever after. :)



11 comments:

Alicia said...

This picture has a large "squeeeee" factor!
Keep the faith Baxter, 'cause you'll be good as new really soon and off to new adventures in your stylish, high end zippy trailer!

Woofs,
Oskar

Keren Hening said...

Ya know . . . Auntie Keren sayz that you can goferride in the zippy trailer even iffn you are still on pokey-lockdown. After all, iffn yer not runnin' 'round, yer not runnin' 'round!

Izn't Auntie Keren smart?

Guinness

Lovable Lily said...

Oh Baxter, how I know that feeling. I too missed sleeping with Mom and Dad when I was on lockdown. I think the only difference between you and I is that I cried ALL night long. They even put my pokey right in the middle of the bed between them but it still wasn't the same.

We're praying your lockdown is coming to an end.

Hugs,
Lily Belle

HELLO! said...

I can relate to that my friend. Last year I got hurt, my lower back. So I had to learn about sleeping in the crate at night. But since then I have learned not to jump and now I'm starting to get back into the bed. :) Hopefully soon your good ending will come soon. So that way you can snuggle with your mom and dad. :) ~Sally, lead doxie, Weinerful Gang~

Jasper + Amy said...

Baxter, I have never had to be on lockdown in the pokey for an injury before, but I do spend the day in the pokey every day while mom is at work, and if I don't like that I KNOW I wouldn't like to spend the night in there away from my mom. I feel for you, buddy. I hope that you get the good word from the tushie man!!

Paws crossed!!

*Jasper

Anonymous said...

When does the Tushie man cometh?

I feel for you B. Believe me, momma hates it more than you do. That little face, those eyes.

My bed is empty now too and I hate it. Soon a puppy soon a puppy will come.

Marene

Cassie said...

That is a seriously adorable picture!

Lorenza said...

Oh, Baxter!
Sure is not easy, right?
Not being able to use your bed!
Soon, my friend.... soon...
Take care
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Doxie Rod said...

Aww, poor thing - did his back go out? Those eyes are impossible to resist!!! This captures the doxie nose SO well - well done :)

Anonymous said...

What a heartbreaking picture ...

Whit said...

Ooh yeah, how can you resist that sweet face?! My goodness!