Monday, April 23, 2012

eep op orp



Tiny chumley was running out of ways to tell me what he wanted by the time he came up with his last ditch plan.   He had already tried stare intensive telepathy but apparently my brain was not sufficiently developed enough to receive his signals.  He then tried to lure me Lassie style to the well of his ambition but coy looks and an exposed tummy only got him belly raspberries and tummy rubs - welcome diversions, but not at all what was required on this his second day of freedom, a day to be savored as much as every day of freedom should be, he now realized.  Last resort efforts had to be invoked.  It was time for kokospeak.

Kokospeak, tiny chumley knew, was hard enough for a gorilla, much less a stubby legged wiener dog with no fingers.  But somehow there had to be a sign that both he and I would recognize, he figured, something that would be the rosetta stone for this very important conversation.  And then it hit him.

Baxter raced out of my sight, nails clicking on the vinyl flooring and tags jingling til both came to an abrupt stop in where I could tell was the kitchen.  Or maybe laundry room since I left the door open, I thought to myself.  Oy, so much laundry yet to do.  Snorty noises, the sound of rifling around.  Laundry room it is.  I wonder if he's looking for a snackie in my pockets.

Baby dog trotted proudly back, head held high with something white and small in his mouth.   He proudly placed the little white cottony blob down on the floor and looked expectantly up at me, certain that this time I would know what he wanted and what we needed to do.  And he was right.

Even though it has been a long time since we've done it, part of our pre-walkie ritual often involves the both of us going upstairs to get a pair of socks, which he then would carry down for me with glee, scamping around with them until he was certain that I had come downstairs too and obtained a snackie with which we could perform our trade.  Slobbery socks to put on my feet for me, snackie for him to put in his tummy. And then we would go for walkies.  We hadn't done that in a while, but tiny chumley remembered.  And thanks to his kokospeak, so did I.

"Okay baby dog, walkies time it is!" I declared as I unglued myself from the laptop.

And off we both did walkie, happy as we could be. :)

9 comments:

Bludog said...

Wiener ingenuity! Way to go B

Jane said...

I love today's post! Baxter is one smart little doggie.

Cassie (along with Tucker 'n Tilly) said...

Baxter, you little smarty pants, you! Well done!!

Alicia said...

These dogs are so smart! Baxter could have brought back a tee shirt, or heaven forbid, underwear, but no...socks were the very item needed and purposefully sought out.
They must think that we're pretty dense in the head to not understand their thinking, and thankful that at least some of us are quick learners!

Hugs to Baxter!

kalyxcorn said...

hee hee thank u miss bludog and miss jane and miss cassie n tucker n tilly and miss alicia. now if only my mom were a quicker learner. i had to come over an ask her twice to turn george on!

Lorenza said...

You are sooooo smart, Baxter!
Glad you two had a nice walkie!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a smart dog you are Baxter.

HH and The Boys said...

Superior powers of communication for sure.

pawhugs, Max

Rowdy and Bette said...

Ah-Ah