Thursday, September 13, 2012

a happy dog lives here :)

When tiny chumley first came to live with us, he had no idea that the low and very kielbasa friendly windows in the front of our house would become one of his favorite places to be.  The tummy warming sun first drew the little kielbasa to this special place, and kept him there long enough to see that there was more to this spot than just a chance to warm his little loafy body. It was also a place upon which he could observe his new and unfamiliar world.

Soon his puppy like quiet observation gave way to occasional barks, which grew in frequency and intensity as his sense of home and place also grew.   As his roots grew deep, so too did his role as finely tuned barking machine,  letting us know from these windows when there was even the slightest change to the lands he now claimed under his jurisdiction to protect.  

I am not exactly sure when it was the first time nose met glass during his barking tirades, but I know it happened sometime after he promoted himself from junior lieutenant to grand poohbah of all he surveys.  Now our windows are often graced with an ankle high layer of smudgy schnoz marks, and I am endearingly reminded that a happy dog lives here, in a home he calls his own. :)


8 comments:

Unknown said...

My girls sadly can't look out our windows at home, but they love the truck windows. There is always puppy nose art all over both front windows. They were tentative at first about looking out the windows while on car rides, but now it's their favorite thing to do while we are going somewhere

Anonymous said...

We call it Dachshund Nose Art :)

Jasper + Amy said...

Jasper's nose art graces my living room windows all the time!! Then cleaning day comes & he stares at me with a inquisitive look on his face, wondering why I am taking down his artwork... and I calmly reassure him that I am only making room for his next masterpiece. :)

He also has a post coming up about his nose art... :)

Kerri said...

I've put in an offer on a short sale house whose back-yard windows are all low to the ground. My first comment was that they are dachshund-friendly and I admit they were a huge part of the appeal.

Lovable Lily said...

We too Baxter have many windows to look out at the world from. Every one of them looks like yours :) You can always tell the home of a good dog owner ~ DIRTY WINDOWS! Now that's a sign of true love.....

Hugs,
Lily Belle & Muffin

Anonymous said...

There are times I think I should buy stock in Windex!

Siol

Jane said...

A cute story today about
Baxter and how he came to feel secure in his new home as a young puppy.

Lorenza said...

Very artistic!
My grandma's house has big windows... but I guess my view from there is not as interesting as yours!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza