Saturday, October 17, 2009

craft and craftiness

I must admit I'm lucky that Baxter is a fairly easy sell when it comes to dressing him up. Sure it's not his favorite thing in the world, but so long as he doesn't have a mission of his own or he's not being munchausened by some sympathetic bystander, Baxter barely bats an eye at the things I sometimes make for him to wear.

Thankfully for Baxter, the bug doesn't happen often, but it always seems to hit me hardest when the weather turns cold. With Jacques biding his time with George this past week, I should have known I was susceptible to the doggie dud disease. Thanks to Joey & Maggie's Mayor of Munchkinville post, I have been in sewing envy for most of this week.

The seed of envy, planted for only five days now, has overgrown past the boundaries of my brain's right hemisphere and now inhabits every wrinkled crevice of the gray matter that is my control center. I had always wanted to experiment with collars and bowties, and there it was, staring me in the face. Someone beat me to it and even made a chest plate festooned with all the proper buttons. I wish there were more pictures.

So yesterday rather than making more purses and totes for an upcoming show, I fiddled around with newspaper and fabric. Not for very long, but long enough to mock up a quickie prototype to test some ideas and feed the hungry thought consuming monster inside my head.

The unadorned prototype results, I soon realized, were something quite different than the half formed vision in my head. Rather than creating the form of stately overcoat that hearkened back to days of olde when men rode horses and women in long flowy dresses succumbed to the vapors, my mind and my fingers had given Baxter a look I can only describe as leisure suit victorian. Perfect, I now see, for the disco themed Pride and Prejudice halloween party that my brain must want me to throw. Do plan on coming. Liberace Bingley awaits you.

8 comments:

RILEY AND STAR MY MALTESEKIDS said...

Hi Baxter,

We luv your new suite! It's really stunning and very tailored. Your mommy did a terrific job!

Have you seen Lorenza's dresses that her Grandma makes for her? We think you two would make a cute couple walking down the street together.

Our mommy makes us clothes too but they are mostly silly costumes.

Come by and see us.

Luv,
Riley and Star.

Alicia said...

This post left me with a case of the giggles, as I envisioned Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester dancing the Hustle and the Bump under the lights of a mirrored disco ball.
Baxter looks quite endearing in his wide collar and squared tails. Yes, his pose is dapper indeed!

chloejessica said...

Your so talented! Baxter looks so handsome! Happy weekend!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Baxter...you looking good honey.

Lorenza said...

Hi, Baxter!
I don't know what your Mom had in mind but the result is pawesome!
You look very handsome!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

old lady said...

Thanks a lot Baxter - now my mom wants ME to dress like that! She says you are "too cute" and your fancy duds would make me such a handsome scally-wag. (I'm named for Rhett Butler from Gone With the Wind so you catch the drift.) Please don't tell her how to get that outfit - I'm even offering one of my squeeky duck egg toys!!!

Rhett Butler
Cuddled up under the afghan
in damp chilly NJ

Taffy said...

Baxter, yo' momma sure is talented! You look great in blue! You will have to wear that when "Date Night" comes around!
Snuggles,
Twix

kalyxcorn said...

oh mercy me Rhett! now you I could see wearing that there get-up with a name like that! my mom made mine with a pattern she made out of newspaper so so long as you don't etsy her you are safe!! ;)