Friday, December 31, 2010

goodbye 2010

So here it is, tiny chumley's last picture of the year. Familiar, isn't it? But look closely, way up past his tattooed mark of zorro and heart shaped tummy hair line, and you might just see the new little white hairs that are starting to invade tiny chumley's upper lip. Migrating, as they are, from Baxter's chiny chin chin, and spreading out like dandelions in a field of bright green grass.

All too soon, I think to myself every time I take the time to notice them.

Baxter's little white hairs are the kind of thing that makes me sigh and be thankful all at the same time. Yes it means my tiny boyfriend has gotten older. But yes it means he has gotten old with me. With us, our microcosmic trio of family, doing all the happy go lucky things a dachshund and his crafty mom like to do.

When I look back at this past year, I remember many things, but mostly I remember how this little four legged stretch of boy enriched our lives, and in doing so, enriched so many others. Baxter's little world is a wonderland in which I am truly grateful to share, even though his growing patch of white reminds me that our time together will eventually come to an end.

But I hope that's not for many, many, many years to come.

So as this year closes, I write, thankful for the year that brought us new friends, amazing feats, new backyard holes, incredible cuteness and, yes, even new white hairs. Goodbye 2010, and thanks for a wonderful year!

12 comments:

Hannalei said...

Oh my goodness that's a tummy that begs for kisses and belly rubs. Baxter you know they make some dye for men .. you might see if it comes in a dachsie version so Mommy wont think you're getting too old on her too quick k?
XoXo

M.A said...

hmm.. Baxter- is it just me or did you grow a smidge taller?

Keren Hening said...

My Guinness will be 16 years old this coming Ides of March. His snout is almost all white, but he still runs and jumps and acts like a puppy. He uses the stairs to get up on my bed, and his hearing if slowly fading and he sleeps much more soundly now. But he's the love of my life and has gotten me through the last 10 worst years of my life, so I'll take each day as a gift from the Lord.

Owned ByDoxies said...

Daisy started getting gray hairs very young, much like Baxter. They haven't slowed her down a bit! I have to say B, if that is your mom holding you in both years pics....she looks like she lost weight! You must be taking her on lots of walkies, good job!

Whit said...

Ooh, who'd couldn't kiss that little redheaded bundle of cuteness come midnight??!!
My Milo is 7 1/2, so he's been getting steadily grayer for awhile (though this past year with his back problems and subsequent surgery may have forced a few early grays!). It is a sad thing to see, but then again the gift is that they are here long enough in our lives to age with us!
Thank God for Dogs!

Bob Peters said...

Thanks to you, Baxter's Mom, for sharing all the blessings Baxter has brought to you and through you, to us. I wouldn't worry too much about Baxter's gray hairs - our Binkie (Jack Russell) is pushing 12 and still plays and runs and jumps, so you have many years to come with Baxter. God bless, thanks for sharing and happy new Year!

Alicia said...

Happy New Year!!

Oskar will be 6 years old in March, and he has many white hairs around his muzzle, and a few strays on his head and rump. Funny how they show up all of a sudden.

Love your socks!

kalyxcorn said...

oh yes, it's truly a wonderful gift!

oh owned by doxies, I just had to write and say I'm pretty sure last year's and this year's picture goes to prove what they tell you about horizontal stripes, dark wash jeans, and better fitting clothes, cuz mr scale never seems to budge off the number he has chosen for me!

happy new year everyone, and be safe!! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Baxter. What a wonderful year of sharing your life and times. Amazing what each year can bring that we would never have been able to predict. Oh - sweet mysteries. Anyway - thank you for all the pure JOY you and your Mom have given us. I often think about the time and effort you spend and give to us all for free. Maybe a few white hairs on Mommy - have you looked? Hopefully not on her chin. tee hee Especially after the Bird dog day.

Thank you!! We love you and here's hoping Mommy wants to keep writing of your escapades each day.

Ali is 16 now. Each morning when I look at her little white face I feel pure love. What wonderful creatures they are.

God bless them all.

Marene&Ali

HH and The Boys said...

And thanks to you and Baxter for all the enjoyment you have brought to me and HH through your wonderful blog...

pawhugs, Max

Hildy (mom typed) said...

Hey Baxter!
Cool tat!
Did your mom let you do that or did you sneak out?

Your fan,
Hildy

Fernanda e Pink said...

Happy new year......!!!!!!!!!!!
beijos. Fer e Pink