Wednesday, September 2, 2009

dapper doxie wear: the soft necktie collar

Hoarding seems like such an ugly word until you take the time to understand it from the hoarder's point of view. For them, for me, it means I'll have what I need when I need it. There's nothing worse than being stuck with the itch to make something and have nothing special to make it with. Sometimes years might go by between when a crafty delight is hoarded into my posession and when it is used. Such is the case with my stash of vintage mother of pearl buckles, the bulk of which I've hoarded and held on to for probably ten years now. Which brings me to what I want to share with you today, the dapper doxie collar I made for our little kielbasa.

Baxter's everyday collar is swell but sometimes I catch him scratching at his neck on the rare occasion when something about it bugs him. Sometimes his everyday collar doesn't coordinate with his growing collection of doggie vest harnesses. Sometimes his everyday collar just isn't dressy enough. Rummaging through my stockpile of silk neckties and aforementioned buckles, I stitched up this prototype. It's soft, easily modified for a variety of looks, and very easy on the neck. An easy peasy project sure to brighten up any doxie's wardrobe.



ps - If you're feeling inspired to make one, just keep in mind that this collar certainly isn't meant for situations where a proper collar with identification tags is needed, and it might not be best to leave your dappered doxie alone with other doggies or little ones who might grab hold and pull on the loose end, causing serious over-tightening of the collar. Experiment and have fun with this idea - I know I plan to.

pps - To keep on my current roll of posting daily, I posted late yesterday night and super early this morning to catch up, so feel free to scroll on down or click here if you missed out on Tuesday's late night post.

8 comments:

Lorenza said...

Hi, Baxter!
Your new collar is pawesome!
I am going to show it to my grandma and maybe she can make one for me!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

kalyxcorn said...

Oh Lorenza I just know that yours will be dandy!! I thought about a girly one - you could use a snap if you don't have a buckle, and sew on a pretty silk flower to cover the snapped area, like a daisy or peony or something. Que Bonita!

chloejessica said...

How have I never seen your blog before? I love it! And this collar is adorable! Yay doxies! :)

kalyxcorn said...

aw thanks ChloeJessica! how did I not run across yours?? Welcome to the pack! :)

AmyM said...

That is an awesome collar and Baxter is quite dashing in it. He is a dapper little dude. Great idea!

Rowdy and Bette said...

That's a fine piece of craftsmanship. Baxter is a lucky dog.

kalyxcorn said...

you guys make me blush! i can't wait to see what you all come up with!

Hugs,
B.

Taffy said...

Baxter, how is it that your mom makes all these things for you? And she has time to blog daily? You have the bestest mom ever! My mom couldn't sew a button on if her life depended on it.
Snuggles,
Twix