Friday, February 12, 2010

chairman of the bored

Okay, so did I mention the other day that I scored three chairs for five bucks at the surplus store? Yesterday's chair was a dollar, today's chair is a dollar, and that means the last chair was a whopping three bucks. It's all so exciting, right??

Today's chair is for Dana to take home with him, whenever the snow ends up melting in his neck of the woods. At first I had planned to just wrap the chair in one fabric like I did with yesterday's chair, and exclude the seam work.

But it seemed such a travesty to cover up the chair's most redeeming feature, aside from its legs. The beauty of its lines that don't quite seem as 70s as when it was made. (February 1974, to be exact, thanks to the tag that also told me that Frank of the Boling Chair Company upholstered it).

Out came the old newspaper and sharpie, so I could make a pattern and sew everything together.



I've still got the back of the top part to finish, but that didn't stop tiny chumley from stopping by to see what all the hubbub was about and make his presence known. "Again with a chair. Can't you see I'm bored already??"

Just one more chair to go, little buddy.

7 comments:

Agnes B. Bullock said...

Handsome Devil!!!! Ginger has the biggest crush on him too. I think she wants to be his secret Valentine.

Alicia said...

Love, love, love the bow tie!! How do you keep it attached?

This picture brings out the intellectual demeanor of your wee boyfriend. Cuteness!!

Bludog said...

Now THAT'S a dapper doxie!

Alli and Frankie said...

Oh my word he is so darling. He's very dashing with his bow tie and stout legs!

So, I read the chair thing - that is a no go for me. My brain is inspired by your creations but there's no way I can execute any of them. It's so impressive! I find myself drawn to fabrics all the time even though I don't sew at all. It makes me wish I could quilt! :)

Lorenza said...

Baxter!
Sure your Mom knows about bargains!
The chair looks awesome!
And... what to say about you on that last picture! You are adorable!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

kalyxcorn said...

hee - i would luv to be a valentine! does that mean like i get more food or anythin?

my mom said she made the bowtie removable by sewing a snap on it. i like that cuz it means i don't always have to wear it but u know, i can when i wanna.

mom also said not all chairs are alike - some you find, you just stuff the fabric in between the cushion and the plastic back and voila! (hey what is a voila?) and others u just use a staple gun on like this one, and then u can hot glue a back on to it if u want to make it easy. it all just depends and worst case is if it doesn't turn out like u want, u lose out on like a dollar so big deal, right?

happy weekend! - b

Jiorji said...

oh i loooove how Baxter's always so awesomely sharply dressed! LOVE LOVE!!! he's quite the character.
i can't wait to sew little coats for my little doxie :D

soon soon!! :D