Thursday, February 4, 2010

winter walkies

I know I am getting older. I've said it before, noticed it in so many ways already. But here's another one for my growing list of crotchetyisms. I can no longer figure out what to wear on our walkies just by looking at the people wandering by outside.

For years we didn't even have a need to know what it was like outside. Lameness & arthritis curtailed walkies for the boys in their middle years, and so we spent most of our evenings never even knowing who walked by or how they dressed.

But the little kielbasa changed all that.

Now every night we try to check out the 'hood, see what there is to see, smell what there is to smell. Chase bunnies and squirrels if we're lucky enough to see them, bark at every dog that we pass unless it's a brother or sister doxie, in which case it's sniff and ignore. That's the kind of life we live now, and so it helps to know what to wear to be comfortable on our 30 to 45 minute nightly journeys.

Now, don't get me wrong. I know that the neighborhood kids are the most unreliable group by which I should be figuring out what I should be wearing on our walkies. Kids run around and have peers to impress. Kids wear all black in the heat of summer, mini skirts and tank tops in the dead of winter. Kids are kids. But now I'm seeing grownups wearing shorts and going jacketless on an evening like yesterday, when it still seemed rather chilly out. When Baxter's dad wore a hat and a down jacket, and I wore a parka. Don't people know it's cold out?? What's wrong with them?? What is wrong with ME??

At least Baxter doesn't mind our apparent hyper-sensitivity to the cold. Tiny Chumley is more than happy to don his hoodie for walkies like yesterday. Happy, to be picked up and carried over the melting rivers of snow and salted sidewalks. Happy, I guess, that we're so dang old.

12 comments:

Fernanda e Pink said...

Too cold is bad ... especially for us who live in Brazil ...
But the snow would be beautiful! Never seen!
You're cool green jacket.
Kisses.

Bludog said...

We call those people "weather confused" - you know, the guy wearing shorts and a sweatshirt when it's 34 degrees out... I have one neighbor who never wears anything but a light zip up jacket, no gloves, no hat, even when it's only 5 degrees. And high school or college kids ... that's not even worth discussing!

I choose to see it as a sign of "maturity" to dress for the weather. And hey, if comfortable shoes happen to go along with that ... well, more's the better ;-)

jen said...

Where DID you get that hoodie?? I have envied it ever since I first saw Baxter looking so hip...

Alli and Frankie said...

So cute, as always!

I have one child who just runs hot and sweats all night even in the dead of winter (which, as we are in Phoenix, isn't that bad). We laugh that we can't ever depend on him to tell us if we need coats.

I, on the other hand, am nearly always cold.

Does the salt they use on the sidewalks bother Baxter's feet at all?

kalyxcorn said...

never been in snow? O fernanda y pink, i hope one day you can. It's so magical!!

i wonder how warm the weather confused keep their houses in the winter time. is there frost on their walls? i am a big fan of danskos and outdoor trail shoes for winter wear. the danskos at least give me height, and well, i'm sure i'm not foolin anybody into thinking i'm gonna climb mount everest but at least the shoes aren't orthopedic wonders! plus ya cant beat the deals at sierra trading when they give you coupons all the time. the goretex shoes i got for like $35 were da bomb in NYC.

that hoodie is swell, isn't it? i hope it never falls apart, cuz it's about the only thing Baxter has that is remotely everyday boy. i got mine at Target - another woolrich thing, though it, too, was purchased a couple of years ago. if you happen to find a new source, let us all know! this hoodie, by the way, opens and closes like a regular jacket - so there's a velcroed seam running down his chest. I like this design better for the whole easy on, easy off thing.

Hee - I don't really know if salt would bother Baxter's nubby toes cuz we carry him through all that. O pampered puppy!

AmyM said...

If being more cold is a sign of age, I'm getting old. I notice it much more than I used to do. I live in a college down and they are downright scary with flip flops in the snow and ice. Then they were their Uggs in the summer. Ugh.

Course, in Iowa it is all about extremes - very cold, very snowy, very icy. We do keep our house cold so it doesn't seem to affect the kids much - they have their beloved doggy door and do spend a lot of time outside tramping around. They always smell ozone fresh when they come in and of course - wet feet.

I LOVE Sierra Trading post - they have amazing deals.

Anonymous said...

I live in a climate where we have cold winter with snow but I always wear shorts since age 6. It is very easy to get used to it, just have to keep warm my upper body.
TAD

Erin said...

LOL when I'm out with the dogs, I do not care what I've got on as long as its warm and can get dirty! :))

kalyxcorn said...

aww, ozone fresh, nature's way of keepin em clean. yeah I totally don't get the uggs. gosh they must smell awful by the time summer is over.

oooh, TAD! A real live person who weathers the cold in shorts. I used to do that on occasion, too, but mostly in the late late winter when sheer desire for winter to be over and will alone would keep me warmer than it actually was. There's something about being over 40 that just changes everything...

haha! I sorta care in the winter what I have on because it's not as hard in the summer to keep reasonably presentable. Summer time? hoo boy, there are only so many levels of nakedness one can get before they call the cops on you. Especially cuz we walk by a playground (!)

Kate said...

Why would people with the tight state of mind wear tank tops and mini skirts on a cold weather? Or wear sweatshirts when it's really hot outside? Duh? I agree with Bludog that it is a sign of maturity that you dress for the weather :)

And by the way, I love your outfit Kalyxcorn ;)

Lorenza said...

It is sooo rare that we find someone on the streets while we are out walking!
Winter weather makes our house very cold inside and sometimes we go out all covered and it is not very cold. I guess people who look at us from their houses think we are crazy!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

kalyxcorn said...

In all fairness I'm sure some people are way less sensitive to the cold than I now am. I mean heck, I still taunt my poor hubby for wearing down when I'm only wearing a parka! I may be old, but hubby is older!! ;)

haha Lorenza, that has happened to us as well. maybe that is also part of the mystery!!