Saturday, April 17, 2010

dapper doxie duds: i like ike

Okay, I admit it. I was a little intimidated by the thought of making a dud for Ike. Don't get me wrong, it was nobody's fault but my own. You see, Ike is famous. Joey n Maggie superlative famous. World's longest dachshund, AND he's a city boy, AND he's never worn a dud style harness before AND he needs a little sumptin to take him through spring and summer? All the wrinkles in my brain smoothed to a glassy surface. Ike was a sizing and fabric challenge for which I had nuttin, and there was little inspiration to be found in my piles of wintery woolens and girly prints and perky hand dyes.

While the back of my mind whirred furiously thinking of fabric options, I sent a gajillion prototypes to his patient mom, unsure how Ike's body might be different. Some prototype bodies were wider, some longer, some narrower. Surely Ike's extended length required an alteration to the basic dud shape, I figured. Only to find out with a bit of a blush that Ike was pretty much Baxter sized, only rounder. Okay, I realized, I totally need to chill and just see what happens.

So with a lightened brain and score of some lightweight indigo wash denim, I came up with this. A study in balanced asymmetry and texture, incorporating a bit of silk necktie and fab old watch face that help lend this dud a vintage city boy feel, all lined in cotton interlock to keep things cool on those hot summer days. Ooo, I'm thinkin with a bit o naughty, maybe Ike won't like it so I can size it down for chumley. Ooo but I do like Ike. Guess I'll be a good girl after all and see what his mom thinks.



Tiny chumley, by the way, had a fine time modelling Ike's dud in warm afternoon sun, til a squirrel fight proved too much for his patience to contain. It only took seconds to take off Ike's dud before I let the kielbasa loose to frolic in the fracas, but time that seemingly took forever for this little hunting dog . Hey, which way did they go???

8 comments:

firstyouleap said...

Go Ike! I can't wait to see him in his new duds. They are beautiful, thanks for modeling them, Baxter.

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

This is a grrrreat one!! Very "studly".
I am amazed by your creativity. I would NEVER have thought of neckties or the old watch face.
SUPER!!!

sio said...

WOW!!! Can't wait to try it on Ike. Am getting the camera ready! Hubby loves the tie detail!!! We will have to have a "fashion show" for some of his friends in the neighborhood!

Bludog said...

You've been busy! I really like the way you used the jeans' seam and then the asymmetric positioning of the tie piece.

Speaking of prototype sizing and fitting and all, I have a friend with a Jack Russell who is very interested... I guess those would just be "Doggie Duds!" :-)

kalyxcorn said...

hee - i couldn't bear to waste that lovely seam. it was so in the groove. and i was just thinking about the doxie in doxie duds the other day...i get quite a gas out of making them for doxies buuuut I suppose I could broaden my horizons a tad, especially if they passed the Molly sniff test! Any friend of Molly's is a friend of Baxter! :)

3 doxies said...

You mean there is a more famous doxie other than Baxter, Joey, and Maggie??? WOW!
This is just super beautiful! It is very houte couture and manly at the same time.
B running just cracks me up for some reason.
Hang on...Igoing to shoot you an email.

Lorenza said...

It is awesome!
I love all those details in the harness!
Did you find that squirrel, Baxter??
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Anonymous said...

NOBODY is more famous than Baxter, Joey & Maggie, but I bet Ike will look totally awesome in that cool in that harness- your work is incredible!