Friday, May 7, 2010

a sausage in the shadows


Tiny chumley got a little glumley when he saw my dehagging process in full swing this morning. There aren't many days where he is left alone in the house, and yet he knows the signs well enough to know when it is time to make himself scarce, to blend as best he can into the background and become a shadow in the darkness.

If I could, I certainly would have taken the little kielbasa with me on my outing. Yesterday was a day for catching up, and finding new ways of falling behind. First, a stop to get my hand x-rayed, the first step in the process of figuring out what's up with my right index finger, a digit that has decided these past few months to become a dissenting member in my otherwise peaceful parliament of phalanges. Chumley would have totally enjoyed himself at the radiologist's office, with so many new things to sniff and so many people there that smell just like his great grandpa. Surely, one of them would have had a treat to offer, buried deep in a pocket or purse.

One People magazine and three thoughtful hand poses later, it was time for me to move on to one of my favorite crafty stores, where I started my descent into the infinitely interesting waters of metal working, buying some much needed basics and finding some stupendous things for adorning duds. Tiny bees, bunnies, monkeys, and, yes, even squirrels filled my basket, along with stuff like stinky liver of sulfur, a heavy steel block, and a metal stamping alphabet set. Nothing that would impress my homebound little wiener, but oh the fun he will have modelling the results!

7 comments:

Alicia said...

OK, OK you have tempted me enough!!! Its time to order the lightweight vest for Oskar and we have to have one of those running rabbit charms incorporated into the design. Do you have any fabric in a handsome sage green?
The move has whipped our #**&@ and Oskar is only partially nutsy these days. I have met the doxies next door and they are Baxter size, but very sweet so hopefully all ill be friends.
Hope your index finger decides to rejoin your phalanx of phalanges and once again act as a team member. This is no time to stand out!

Alicia

Annie's Mama said...

Akkkkkkk! Just the idea of you not being able to make any more harnesses makes me want more! Hope that hand of yours cooperates and heals! LOVE your finds!

Bludog said...

As for us ... we'd like some "dog charms" to hang on collars. Got any plans for those? Perhaps stamped tags? If you did some that we could then get engraved; well, that would be too much to hope for!

kalyxcorn said...

hi alicia! I'll check - I have a fabric that's not sage green that I thought might be cute, but sage green also sounds so wonderful!! I'll try and take a pic of what I have in the meanwhile. So cool that u have neighbor doxies now!!!

hi liz! Yeah I suer hope it all works out. Should be fine. I've been in denial for the last what, 4 months already? Xrays came back a-ok, so I just gotta work on being better about downing the advil for a week and if it's still bad, I get to go to ortho!

hi bludog! wha, u got a secret tap into my brain now? :) baby steps, though. some of what I want to do requires interaction with caustic chemicals, and some require expensive equipment and/or enough knowledge and training to manage the alternatives. i just got the goods to stamp, and today got enough stuff to experiment with etching, but ultimately I wanna also lay down some rich transparent enamels, and that's gonna take some doing to get set up and going without burning my house down or going into debt. guess I need to rustle up more dud orders!! :)

Bludog said...

Maybe you'll have to make German Shepherd duds! Can you imagine Max with pink wings?!?!

I know. Me neither...

Lorenza said...

I hope your finger is going to be ok!
You found very nice things!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

kalyxcorn said...

hee - max with pink wings? how bout a matched set for Max and your big boyfriend? and yes, pink tutus. Just to make their outfits complete! :)