Saturday, June 19, 2010

snack ball






Behold the snack ball. Hard, plastic, and oversized, it hardly seems the kind of toy that would entice a curious doxie, til the tummy tantalizing treats within are discovered. Snack ball was a favorite toy for Baxter's granduncles, one that would keep them heartily entertained for hours, nudging it around and around while kibble occasionally dribbled out of it, luring the boys to nudge it even more.

Even after the boys had gone blind, snack ball still called to them like no other toy, still kept them intrigued for as long as we would let them have it. The only difference with blindness, it seemed, was that more sniffing was involved, and sometimes backtracking, just to make sure they gobbled up every last morsel that fell out. Yes, Kep and Padua bequeathed unto Baxter what I thought would be a toy for the ages. Perfect for sewing days when tiny chumley could use an extra little sumptin to do besides giant shirt ball and tummy tanning.

It only took a second for Baxter to realize that there was kibble inside. A couple of minutes of nudging to make him think there must be a better way to do this. Thirty seconds to pop out the yellow core. Then jackpot.

What else ya got for me?, he proudly asked with bright eyes and friendly wagging tail. And, without ever writing it at all, Baxter managed to put a visit to pet store on our weekend todo list.

6 comments:

Bludog said...

Try this website also for "smart" dog toys
http://www.ihelppets.com/
Proceeds will help to support the shelter where we got Molly - HUA.org

Stacey said...

No kidding huh? I can't tell you how many "bulletproof" toys Murphy has destroyed. Had one shop owner sell me some everlasting treat cube of some sort. Said her Dane, who is a chewer, had been playing with one for a couple of years. Murphy obliterated it in about 15 minutes. *sigh*

Taffy said...

I have one of those too....I've never taken out the stopper though. Bax, you are one smart dude. Mom and Dad laugh at me when I am rolling mine around because I get really ticked at it! I havne't seen that thing in a long time. I hope my mom doesn't get any ideas.
I'm back from "vacation" and I love those duds for DoMo!
Snuggles,
Twix

Elizabeth said...

I need to get one of those for Lulu!

Lorenza said...

Hi, Baxter!
I have one too! Mine is orange. Never use it. No way I can take the treats out of it.
And like Twix... I have not seen it in a long time! Hmmm....
Happy Saturday!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

kalyxcorn said...

oh my goodness - i just looked at the ihelppets website and some of the toys remind me of like, kiddie aptitude toys! how fun. will take a better look again. i saw the cube version at PetSmart and wasn't convinced that Baxter wouldn't chew off the edges, just like he did the nubbins from the purple bottle toy.

yikes where has the day gone? sorry Lulu - maybe I can plan a little better for next weekend? :)

hi twix n lorenza n murphy! i hope u r having a swell time with your parents!! :)