Tuesday, August 24, 2010

tail management

Those in the know might already aware that Baxter is a bit of a occasional leaky bottomed stinky butt-er. Quiet laptime moments of human and kielbasa, interrupted by a p-eeeeeew of mega proportions, embarrassing both human and dog and requiring a cleanup in aisle four.

Kep and Padua seemed to go through a similar phase about this age, p-eeewing as so often is mysteriously the case, when they were relaxed and sleeping. I'm not exactly sure what it was that helped them grow out of it, but I like to think it's in part due to what we called tail management. Constant reminders that they keep their tails pulled in tight when they lie down for a rest. I know, it's a little misguided, a little Joan Crawford, really, and I must admit my sweet Padua learned tail management so well that even when he was in the deepest of sleep, I could move his tail and it would instantly move back, re-covering his p-eeeeew center like a spring loaded trap door. Padua was always the one who listened, albeit perhaps to an extreme.

So the other day I catch tiny chumley doing this, sloppy bottoming about in his snoozer, a loaded gun ready to misfire. And I am reminded that we must work on tail management.

I promise I won't Joan Crawford you, baby dog, but please, we are totally going to work on tail management when I get back home.

5 comments:

Kerri said...

B, maybe you and Duk Duk could practice tail management while you're counting to twelve and surprise your mom with less p-eeeeeew when you get to thirteen?

sio said...

In our house we call those p-eeeeeews "SBDs" -- Silent But Deadlies -- as in "I think Ike (or Otto or Linus) just made an SBD." Simon, when he was older, occasionally made a LBND (loud but not deadly). We found tail management helped, but, you know - if they've got gas - it's going to "blow"!!

Taffy said...

I am giggling! I do tail management too. And then mom reaches over and tries to pull my tail away....I put it right back where it belogns. I really don't think she is smart enough to know what I am doing though.
Snuggles,
Twix

kalyxcorn said...

hi miss kerri - ooh maybe. it is certainly worth trying to help pass the time! :) b

hee, oh sio, if only they were SBDs. Baxter's p-eews? They're not so muc gaseous as, um, well, okay, they're more of the anal gland variety. Fishy, coppery eau de doggie, the kind of thing that is the reason why he gets added fiber in his diet.

oh little twixie, I'd bet u r so cute when you set your people straight about how u like your tail! :)

Lorenza said...

Tail management sure is an important issue!
My mom plays with my tail too... and my tail goes back to its original position in less than a second!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza