Tuesday, December 21, 2010

the ghosts of christmases past

Save for the Christmas that Baxter spent barely a few weeks old, Christmas has always been something that the little kielbasa has spent with us. Though this will be our fourth Christmas together, it seems like only yesterday that we brought him home.

Baxter's first Christmas with us was spent in naked wide eyed wonder. Barely a year old and still getting adjusted to a household that didn't have forty dogs in it, tiny chumley was a quiet, thoughtful delight amidst the hubbub that surrounded him. Watching, as we put up the tree, and wondering, I suppose, how his life was going to unfold. Of all the ornaments Baxter could have chosen to investigate with his puppy curiosity, Baxter chose a flat wooden image of a dachshund head that happened to be hanging on one of the lower branches at the back of the tree. Snitching it as he did ever so gingerly off the tree and giving it a quick investigative nibble, before leaving it on the floor, and leaving me to wonder to this day how he came to find and choose that particular ornament when so many other non doxie ornaments were more readily available.

Little chum's second Christmas just happened to arrive the year that I found a Peter Pan costume just his size on clearance. Oooh, won't tiny chumley be the cutest elf in this?, I thought to myself as I made my purchase. But of course, tiny chumley begged to differ, and thus was born our picture of tiny glumley, glummest elf of glumdonia, Christmas 2008.

By the time the Christmas picture bug hit me last year, I had visions of something a little more gentlemanly for my then three year old boy. I had been itching to do something with the green cotton cable knit sweater I found at goodwill, so why not a holiday dapper dud for this little doxie? Christmas Picture 2009? Much less glum, way more woof, gimme that snackie please!




I can't help but smile when I look at these pictures of Christmas past. Be warmed by the memories each picture brings. Who knows how tiny chumley's christmas picture this year will turn out, but I am certain it will be a fond memory for tomorrow.

8 comments:

sio said...

Baxter looked so dapper with that bow-tie! His elf outfit reminds me of David Sedaris's "Santa-land" Macy's experience!!

What will Baxter be this year??

P.S. Did you like our card??

HH and The Boys said...

What a fantastic post. The pictures are beautiful... Oh that elf picture... HEE HEE... Can't wait to see the pictures of this Christmas.

pawhugs, Max

wanlai2001 said...

Such a handsome boy!

Bob Peters said...

I'm sure you have all you could ask for with little Baxter under your tree. You are truly blessed.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours!

kalyxcorn said...

hi miss sio! I LOVED your birthday card! Did u get what i sent u yet? :)

happy Tuesday everybuddies! :)

Hannalei said...

Bax = makes me smile. I love his Christmas pictures.

sio said...

Just got your card! Absolutely adorable picture of Baxter. The boys say they want their picture on our Xmas card next year!!!

P.S. Thanks for the calender magnet, too!

Coupon Trunk said...

He looks absolutely adorable in the sweater and bowtie!