Saturday, March 12, 2011

waiting for godzilla

I'll be the first to admit I live a very filtered life.  For the most part, I remain politically ignorant and ever hopeful that in the great see-saw of life, one side will very much balance the other over time.   I am slightly aware of world tensions and  precarious economies, but never so much so that I feel I could effectively debate with a person of strong opinion. My filters are an armor that keep my mind free to do what it seems to do naturally, which is of course to create.  But disasters, the kind of stuff where people are humming along one minute and mother nature or a doofus or group of doofuses just completely turns your world upside down the next?  Yeah, my filters don't always seem to work with that.

I have been to Japan once, on a business trip.  It was an experience that was in many ways as one might expect, with the language barrier and rather small sized everything serving as constant reminders that I was a foreigner in a foreign land.  That this was not home.  Yet Japan and I still managed to find common ground, mostly because of what seems to be our profound love of craft, and of course, shopping.  Back then I didn't have time to be as much of a maker as I am now, but I still left Japan with a suitcase full of coolness and a burning desire to go back again. 

Fast forward ten or so years to yesterday, and I'm sitting on the sofa, watching in disbelief at the photographs and scenes I saw on television. The earthquake and tsunami and the havoc it is still causing.  With cars being tossed in the waters like little toys, and houses being turned into floating driftwood, I was hoping that at any moment Godzilla would appear, and by default, that would mean that none of it was real. But of course, that never happened.  It is all too real.  And I feel a little guilty that I can sit here and tell you that my day, tiny chumley's day, was blissfully uneventful. But I am also very very thankful.

Today, taxes are on the agenda for our tiny little pack.  And as I sit with Big Boyfriend and grunt and groan over the numbers with our tax preparer while tiny boyfriend is curled up in his bed, I will remind myself that it could most definitely be worse. That my life could be turned upside down in an instant.  That I could be the one waiting for Godzilla.

6 comments:

HH and The Boys said...

Wonderful blog post!! Perfect picture of Baxter to go with it.

pawhugs, Max

Anonymous said...

Wow! So thoughful and true! I understand a little about "being turned upside down in an instant" - and hoping that its just a dream. Linus and I certainly have had the need to curl up under a blanket at times!

firstyouleap said...

Great post today. I've been a bit overwhelmed by the political upheaval around the world and at home. Still fallout from the BP spill, earthquake in Haiti, Katrina et al. And now a piece of my heart goes out to Japan as well.
A time to be grateful and do what good I can.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting your thoughts. I am right there with you in your thinking. Yesterday my daughter was so upset about Japan and then she asked me "Are there wiener dogs in Japan?" She asked this as she sat holding her little 18 pound cylinder of love, Wishy, and this is how I knew she was really worried about the world. Give hugs and kisses to big and little boyfriend and don't sweat the taxes!

kalyxcorn said...

i know, so awful. and i hate to say it, but i really did feel even worse when I wondered if some little wiener dogs were swept away, too. my friend siamsquare has family in friends in japan and thankfully they are all safe, but we all know there are others who aren't so lucky. taxes almost done, and soon it will be time for one little wiener to get his walkies.

Lorenza said...

My mom likes to be in that way too!
But, sometimes it is not easy to ignore the things happening around the world.
We are thinking of all those affected there in Japan.
Happy saturday!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza