Wednesday, April 6, 2011

curr tailed






Our first dachshund Digger was always a spry little fellow, robust even in his old age when I knew him and all we really worried about we minor health concerns in the grand scheme of things. Bad breath, an occasional ear infection, the mysterious bulge in his cheek which we thought might be a tooth problem but proved at the vet's office to be nothing more than his secret squirrel food pack. And this, the little nubby dry end of his tail that sometimes needed a little TLC when Digger's happy tailthwacking into walls and legs and furniture disturbed the tiny scabs on the relatively bald tipped end of his tail.





Digger's follicle challenged tail tip was a reminder of an earlier incident in his youth when his tail wasn't fast enough for the closing door. I am told that not soon after it happened, swelling caused the hairs on the tippy tip of his hurting tail to poofter out and then the hair on the last inch or so of his tail grew sparsely after that, but I suspect Digger's pain long subsided before that of his dad. Nobody likes to see a dog in pain, much less be the cause of it.






So making sure a little dog and his tail are completely out the door before we close it is always something we are mindful about doing, but maybe a little less so when the weather is weird and blustery and it's raining and it's o-dark thirty in the morning.  Which is how both our hearts sank the instant we knew early yesterday morning that tiny chumley's  tiny yelp meant that his tail also fell prey to the tail munching door.  Only thanks to Big Boyfriend's quick reflexes, tiny chumley's tail was barely munched at all, and other than being minus one morning poop and pee from being so rudely awakened, the little kielbasa and his happy tail are no worse for wear.  Crisis curr-tailed.  :)

14 comments:

Melinda said...

Ouch. Glad the tail escaped with only minor injuries! I'm still giggling over the squirrel pouch, wonder who taught him that trick? ;)

Anonymous said...

Eek! Poor little tails... bad Tail Munching Door!

Rowdy and Bette said...

Oh no! Glad that proud tail is OK! Always thought it would be cool if humans had tails - think of the adornments we would give them - our clothes would be different, there would be "tail-men," they would get stuck in subway doors, and they would forever be stepped on when you drive by the people in the back seat of your car. :)

Annie's Mama said...

Baxter has a great Dad! Dogs forgive so much easier than people do!

kalyxcorn said...

hee hee, miss simply smitten, he figured that out all by himself! i guess is mouth was built different than mine cuz i hardly ever get them! :)

hello miss taylor lynn! yes mom is so glad i do not have a complex after that with the door. but what she doesn't know is, i'm thinkin of peein on it to teach it a lesson! ;)

good morning joey n maggie! and people would be so much easier to read if they had tails! well, so long as they don't cover it up like that other stuff they got hangin off them. maggie, i am glad u are better! :) :)

hee hee, yes i do annie's mama!! how be your dynamic duo today? mom is going shopping today cuz she has to return the floor samples and will be keepin an eye out for fabrics! :)

HH and The Boys said...

Oh my... don't get me started on tail tales. The kitty before me... HH called him Fonz... lost his tail altogether. He had it for 11 years, but then it had to come off. Whew... I don't know the whole story, but I was able to keep my tail all my life and I'm glad of it.

Have a great day.

pawhugs, Max

Bludog said...

I am always so careful when the G. Sheps get in the car. My mother accidentally shut our Labrador's tail in the car - no big damage, but he wasn't too happy about it.k

The squirrel pouch reminds me of one of my nephews - when he was a toddler, he would just keep putting bites of food in his mouth and never swallow it. My sister would have to say, "Swallow. Swallow. You're not getting anything else until you swallow..."

Anonymous said...

LOL Baxter! I'm sure the door (not to mention your mom!) will very much appreciate it if you pee on it. ;D

Kerri said...

Our first doxie, Scrappy, lost the hair on the end of his tail when he mistakenly peeped in on a cat in labor. Minnie's eventually thinned out due to Cushing's, I think.

Lorenza said...

Oh-oh.... ouch!
My tip of my tail is bald too. I don't know what happened to it. It has been like that since I came to live here!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Keren Hening said...

Guinness' tail is definitely unique! It is shaped like a zigzagging bolt of lightening due to two unfortunate accidents. His first break occurred before he came to live with me, and the second just sort of happened. His hair grew back when he was on AIMS dog food for a while, but has once again thinned out. At age 16, though, he's entitled to have a tail in a curly-cue if he wants!!!

M.A said...

Ouch!! Mom and dad has done that to me and I wasn't happy... They felt bad... But I forget about it in an instant, but know that I have to rush to get through the door before it closes!

kalyxcorn said...

wow max, a kitty without a tail! yes i am glad u still have yours as i am with mine!! :)

ay ay ay! yeah that i bet that car door incident did not make his day, miss bludog. that is really funny about your nephew. mom says it is the kind of stuff that always needs to be shared when u meet your nephew's girlfriend! :)

hee hee, don't tell on me miss taylor cuz otherwise it will not nearly be as satisfying. :)

whoo, that musta been some incident for scrappy, miss kerri. :)

what, u got a tippy tip bald tail lorenza? i will have to look at your pictures more closely. i bet it makes u even cuter and i did not think it was possible! :)

aww, a zig zaggytail! that reminds me of my great uncle kep's zig zaggy hairline that he had on the back of his neck. and my mark of zorro. us z people gotta stick together! :)

hee hee, i bet u do zip out that door kona - i watched your agility videos and was very impressed! :) b

Anonymous said...

LOL Gotcha, Baxter!