Wednesday, October 28, 2015

sweater weather


It's that time of year when our weather teeters between ok and kind of chilly for tiny chumley. Seventy degrees is about his minimum, and anything less than that on any given morning means I can count on him making a beeline to his heat cave when we go downstairs, hopeful that he might enjoy his morning snackie inside the little flowery festooned palace that I made him last winter, while his heater friend George keeps guard against the chilly morning air.

I must admit, as the gray on his face and paws appear at an ever increasing pace, I am torn between letting him laze peacefully as he would love to do all day in his little tropical wonder dome, and luring him out to play and do all the things he still can do before time renders him a sleepy, weakened little old man.  Luckily, there is a compromise that suits us both.  A quick whistle, the promise of snackies, and a makeshift playtime sweater cut from the sleeve of a thrift store sweater,  are all the things we need to merge our worlds back together.  It's that time of year, my little friend. It's sweater weather. :)



2 comments:

cece said...

It's 60 in my house right now and my doxie is stretched out asleep on the floor. She only tolerates a sweater at 30 degrees outside. Is she just more cold blooded? I live in WA state so it rarely gets cold here

kalyxcorn said...

ha ha probably! little B started his life early on with a layer of jiggly blubber. When we first met him as a rescued 10 month old, he was very well marbled. It took most of spring for us to help him shed the excess weight through diet and exercise. Although I am certain he does not miss the dog hoarding environment of his early days, I suspect there are days like today where he misses that layer of chub :)